Haunted at Home: Halloween in 2020

Sofia Castellan, Staff

This year, Halloween seems to have been haunted by the quarantine. Because of the COVID situation, many people are unsure of what they should and shouldn’t do during this spooky season.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website, everyone should still celebrate Halloween, but we must try to do so by participating in lower risk activities. They recommend carving or decorating pumpkins with friends outside at a safe distance, having a Halloween movie night with people you live with, or even having a virtual Halloween party.

If participating in higher risk activities, Some regulations that may help people feel safer.

“I feel safer wearing masks and using hand sanitizer during trick or treating,” sophomore Emma Crosa said.

Crosa believes not accepting or eating any candy that isn’t fully closed or packaged can also help.

The CDC encourages people try trick or treating at a safe distance, leaving the candy for trick or treaters in a bowl outside in order to avoid contact, and trying to attend outside events. They also recommend limiting the amount of people that you hang out with as much as possible.

“Because of the coronavirus, I will be avoiding going to a large costume party,” sophomore Fiorella Lara said.

Lara will be driving up to Ginnie Springs and celebrating Halloween there.

Crosa, on the other hand, says that for Hallowewn this year, she will be going to a friend’s house and watching a scary movie with 5 or 6 people outside.

Although Lara and Crosa will still be celebrating the spooky holidays following regulations, there are people who don’t feel comfortable doing so during these times.

“My friend still is on lockdown because he and his family are paranoid of the virus so they will not be leaving their home,” Lara said..

Even though this year Halloween is far from normal, it’s no surprise people still want to celebrate in some way.

“At least we can still have fun and enjoy Halloween this year in some way,” Crosa said.