Getting to know the New OLLA Teachers

September 21, 2020

Miss Nicole Molina:
1. What made you decide to teach at Our Lady of Lourdes Academy, and what set it apart from other schools to you?
I wanted to give back to the school what OLLA gave me during my high school years. The teachers and the staff made the school so welcoming, and laid a foundation in my faith life. This foundation has helped me in so many ways, one of which is choosing the career of teaching theology.
The Sisterhood of Lourdes, and the dedication of the teachers is something that sets OLLA apart.

2. What is your favorite memory from your time at Lourdes?
My favorite memory is participating in all the musicals and plays as a Lourdes Singer and Thespian, especially when my sister, who was a grade above me, participated with me.
3. What is your favorite bible verse?
Proverbs 3:5-6 – “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.”
4. Can you tell us a fun fact about you?
I recently became a tía and madrina, a godmother. My sister had her first baby in January, and he was baptized in May. He’s almost 8 months now, and he’s the cutest baby.
5. What is one thing you are most excited to teach your students?
I am so excited to teach my students the connections between the Old Testament and the New because it shows what an incredible and awesome Story-teller God is.
6. What is your favorite song right now? And why is that song your favorite?
“Uptown Girl” by Billy Joel. I heard it recently on the radio, and it’s been in my head almost all day! I love the upbeat music of the song, and I think that’s what makes it so catchy.
7. What is something you’re excited to experience as a new teacher at Lourdes?
I’m excited to experience Lourdes as a teacher. At first, it was strange to be coworkers with many of my former high school teachers (and even one who was my teacher in middle school!), but I love to see how much the teachers actually care about their students.
8. What was your favorite grade during your time at Lourdes? Why was that your favorite year?
My favorite grade was sophomore year. I was involved in all the musicals and plays during that year, which was incredibly fun and helped me meet new people and grow out of my shell.
9. What is a piece of advice for current Lourdes students you wish someone told you when you were in high school?
Be patient with yourself. High school is only four years but you grow so much in that time. Things can be difficult and change is hard, but give yourself time to learn and try again.
10. Do you have any hobbies, and what are they?
I love to read. I have two big bookcases of just books. I love listening to music, especially musicals. I also love to travel, and I hope to travel more soon!

Mr. Orestes Mayo:
I had heard many wonderful things about the young ladies at Lourdes and how they were so motivated to learn and that a new physics teacher was needed.
2. Have you taught at previous schools? If so, which ones and what is your favorite memory with your previous students?
I come from Miami-Dade County public Schools where I taught and also took on administrative roles over the years. My favorite school is a tough question because just like Lourdes, every school has a culture and personality of its own. One school that does stand out due to the student body is BioTech. I found those to be some of the kindest kids I ever worked with but as I said, I have found great joy in every school site I ever worked in.
3. What is your favorite bible verse and why is it your favorite?
Seek and you will find.
4. What is something you are excited to teach your students about this year?
Physics is the foundation of all science due to its simplicity and elegance. I can’t wait to tell them how the universe works and how space and time are almost metaphysical in its conception.
5. What was your favorite year of high school and why?
My Sophomore year was very special. I was in the orchestra and we recorded the Gounod Mass at Jesu Cathedral and also went on a tour to Chapiqua, NY. We were able to sit in on the rehearsal of the New York Philharmonic, went up to the top of the World Trade Center and we played several concerts on the road. And then we ended the year by scoring in state competitions as the top High School Orchestra in Florida.
6. What is your favorite thing about OLLA so far?
The students have shown to be very well mannered and kind. Something I value very much. I am also very pleased with the fact that kids here know things. I can ask about so many topics and the ladies know about them.
7. Most of our students at Lourdes have Hispanic Heritage. What is your heritage, where is your family from?
I am from Spanish ancestry. All 4 of my grandparents are either born in Spain or the child of a spaniard. I am a mix of Basque, Castilian and Andalusian.”
8. What is one of your favorite memories from high school?
I have a few but being on the swim team is one of them.
9. What is something that drives you to succeed and keeps you motivated?
Learning new things; visiting new places; meeting new people.
10. What is a fun fact that most people don’t know about you?
I am a gamer. 🙂

Mr. Pedro Fraile Perez:
I was looking for a Catholic school that shared my way of teaching. I heard of this school, the great team it has, the excellent organization, the concern to give the best education to its students and the technological approach it uses to teach its classes.
2. Have you taught at other schools before Lourdes? If so, what schools and what is your favorite memory with your previous students?
I have taught for eighteen years in different schools in Spain, and I have fond memories of all my students. Although I remember more of those who had more difficulties to learn and it was a more important challenge in my teaching career at that time.
3. What is your favorite memory from high school?
I have fond memories of my classmates, and even with some of them I am still friends today.
4. What is something you are looking forward to teaching your students?
Illusion to learn, and enjoy the process.
5. What is your favorite bible verse, and why is it your favorite?
“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you.” Matthew 5:44
I believe that in life you should not have a grudge.

6. What is your favorite song right now, and why?
I don’t really have a favorite song, but I like listening to upbeat songs like “Happy” by Pharrel Williams.
7. How did you learn Spanish?
For me it was easier, since it was my native language
8. Do you have any advice for students trying to learn Spanish?
Yes, listening to television is Spanish, and trying to talk to other people.
9. Most of the students at our school have Hispanic Heritage. What is your heritage, where is your family from?
Both my family and I are from Spain