Spring 2022 All-County Teams

Isabella Nunez

Spring athletes earn a spot on the all-county sports team for recognition of an outstanding season.

Isabella Nuñez, Sports Editor

Athletes exhibited their remarkable talent throughout the spring season while proudly wearing the school logo on their chest. 

This hard work and determination does not go overlooked as some receive the honor of being named to the All-Dade Teams– displayed in the Miami Herald. This year the soccer and basketball teams were proud to be included.

“When our season ends and this time rolls around, we are all eagerly waiting to see who made what teams,” junior Coco Aguilar says. “It’s the best feeling to see your name on there.”

Many of the athletes from the spring sports season were recognized this Monday, April 4th. Soccer’s first team consist of sophomore Tessa Abreu (18 goals, 4 assists), juniors Katerina Puig (7 goals, 4 assists) and Gabriella Paredes (13 shutouts, 7 goals against), and seniors Samantha Diaz (1 goal, 1 assist) and Mariana Rionda (1 goal, 2 assists). The second soccer team includes freshman Sienna Aviles, junior Coco Aguilar, and senior Alexandra Sosa. Sophomore Alexandra Diaz was placed in the third team, and senior Olivia Borroto received an honorable mention.

“I’m beyond honored to have been picked and so blessed to have the team and coaching staff at OLLA because they all truly want you to get better and succeed,” sophomore Tessa Abreu said. “Hard work truly pays off. Also super excited for the next two years to come.”

Moreover, Katerina Puig ‘23 was named player of the year for the 7A-5A girls’ division. According to the Miami Herald, Puig “led the bobcats back to the state tournament this season” and was “the Bobcats’ most valuable player.”

“I was so in shock that I won; I did not expect it at all,” junior Katerina Puig said. “I was very happy that I got nominated but winning was even better. I feel very accomplished that all my hard work is recognized.”

As for basketball, sophomore Luciana Picasso was placed in the first team (15.1 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 2.2 apg, 2.5 spg, 2.2 bpg), senior Emily Mayor in the second team, and junior Ana Sofia Sanchez received an honorable mention. 

“I’m proud to be recognized as second team all-county,” senior Emily Mayor said. “It’s a rewarding feeling for all the dedication and hard work I put in throughout the year.”

The chosen athletes encapsulate notable qualities that county officials have evidently recognized. Their accomplishments are a great promise of the athletes’ talent and dedication, as well as what the future has in store for these Bobcats.