The Tradition Continues…

Seniors start the final year Locked-in.

Dances, charades, races, and contests. Just one of the many school traditions at Senior Lock-in.

On Saturday, August 20, the 207 members of the class of 2023 came together for the annual Senior Lock In. This OLLA tradition kicks off the school year for the senior class. The entire grade comes after school hours and are split into teams to compete in a series of competitive activities. It is a night of fun, sisterhood bonding, and lasting memories. 

This flagship senior event was spearheaded by Mrs. Michelle Minoso ‘91, the Senior class Moderator, and Ms. Ana Figueras ‘07, the Student Activities Director. 

“The point of Lock-in is to provide the senior class with an opportunity to bond and spend time together before the stress of senior year begins,” Mrs. Miñoso said.

Seniors Kayla Flores, Emma Crosa, and Annette Concepcion decorating beanies for their little sisters. (Cici Rionda)

One of the senior council’s biggest responsibilities is planning Lock-in the week before school starts. They plan everything from the games the girls played, to making the teams for each event, and even what was for dinner. There were multiple stations for each team to play different games. Whichever team won would get a bracelet as proof of their win. Whichever team had the most bracelets by the end of the night would win. Even though this 8-hour event seems endless, it runs on a very tight schedule. In order to make sure everything goes smoothly, each group has a member of the student council as their “team captain” to stay on track. 

“It was a great way to get back to the community that we saw as freshmen. I came in not expecting much but after a few activities and wins I realized that we had what it took to win! I was so proud of my amazing team,” senior Bivi Nuñez said.

Team Captain Nuñez, Vice President of the Executive Board, led her team dressed in Navy Blue to victory. Once their victory was announced at the end of the night, the team won exclusive purple senior blankets. 

Once the clock struck midnight, Lock-in finally came to an end. As the seniors began to disperse, Senior Ale Gomez-Pina played one last song: the Mamma Mia classic Slipping Through My Fingers. A few students gathered in the middle of the gym and began to sing, and from one second to the next, the entire senior class locked arms and sang together.

Senior Nina Diaz as team captain of the Lavender team.

“The song is an inside joke between Ms. Figueras and I, so she played it as a joke to make me cry. It turned out to be one of the best moments I’ve had so far with my class. A simple hug between me and some of my friends turned into an emotional hug with my sisters. I’m so glad we got to share that moment, and I know none of us will ever forget it,” Gomez-Pina said.

The impromptu, sporadic moment led to tears by not only the seniors, but even members of faculty. Senior Lock-in was a special way to celebrate the beginning of the end, and served as a reminder that the sisterhood will last forever.