Teaching Mass, Starting the Year with Faith

Ms. Alina Yaniz

Sister Carmen and Fr. Ireneusz Ekiert from Epiphany Parish lead the students in the Eucharist at the senior/freshman teaching mass on Tues. August 23.

The first school masses of the year were teaching masses. The teaching mass is a new school tradition that took place the week of August 21. At the senior/freshman mass which took place August 23 during the FOCUS block, the seniors were able to meet their little sisters, and teach them the special things we do here at OLLA. This day was special for the seniors and the freshmen, because they were able to create a stronger bond with God while being in each other’s company.

“I’m so glad I was able to bond over God with not only the sisters in my grade but also with my little sister,” senior Sophia Carbonell said. 

The freshmen and seniors were not the only ones that were able to attend a teaching mass. The sophomores and juniors along with the staff, came together to be reminded about the purpose of mass during the FOCUS block on August 25. 

During the mass they went through the motion of particular things we do at the school. For example: The school Our Father. This prayer is used before, and after the Our Father. This Our Father incorporates a special touch to the mass at OLLA. Students sang their hearts out and praised the Lord.

“I really enjoyed the teaching mass because it made me want to engage more throughout the mass, and I was also able to sing and dance,” junior Sofia Maggiolo said.  

Teaching Mass helped encourage students to be engaged and participate in the mass. Not only did this mass strengthen the relationship with God, it also taught the meaning of why specific things are done in the mass.  Overall everyone was able to grow their faith and create a stronger relationship with God. 

“This mass taught me the importance of participating, especially because it is our response to God and praising him for all that he has done for us,” senior Emma Segurola Said.