Makin’ Mentors

Juniors show Freshman the way.

Sarah Carreño

More stories from Sarah Carreño

Scholar on Skates
December 4, 2023

Junior mentors help freshmen students get adjusted to high school life.

Everyone at the school knows what it feels like to be a freshman. It can be overwhelming for some trying to navigate the rough waters of academics, sports, and a social lifestyle. So a group of  juniors are  mentoring  freshmen from the class of 2026 on good time management and other aspects of having a productive academic year.

The mentor program was started last year, 2021, by Guidance Counselor, Mrs. Maria Bosque-Blanco, to help freshmen grappling with the academic rigor of the school’s curriculum.

“As a counselor I saw how many freshmen struggled with their grades in the first quarter, but it also affected their self esteem and their view of the school, so I felt it would help them feel this was a place that was welcoming and not too difficult for them,” Blanco said. 

The program usually lasts through the first quarter of school, with mentors meeting with their freshmen mentees once a week. Mrs. Blanco has grown the program from 26 to 32 mentors from last year to this year and expressed hopes of continuing to expand it.

Blanco explained how one of the main goals of the program is to create a more fluid transition between middle and high school for the freshmen, while also incorporating an aspect of sisterhood.

“The sisterhood part is great,” Blanco said. “It helps the juniors feel like they’re upperclassmen who can help the freshmen and it increases the freshmen’s academic success, as well as their social and emotional well-being on campus.”

The mentor program is similar to the Big Sister program in helping freshmen to adjust to the school, however the Big Sister program helps freshmen in all aspects of the Lourdes lifestyle, especially socially, but the mentor program hones in on helping them acclimate to the academic aspect of the school.

“I felt super supported, because she was really welcoming, and gave me a lot of tips and tricks for the year,” Freshman Sophia Vallejo said upon meeting her mentor for the first time.

Junior Laura Calvache, is a mentor participating in the program. “I decided to accept the position of being a mentor because I wanted to help the freshmen, having been through it myself,”Calvache said.

Having been around the block, mentors know the ins and outs of freshmen courses. Calvache said the best advice she could give is “to have good time management, dedication, and to always use the resources at your disposal.”

Every freshman receives advice that is individualized to them and their specific needs and weaknesses. While one may be struggling with organization another may be struggling with managing their time wisely. 

“The best advice I received from my mentor was to always be respectful, don’t procrastinate, and try and finish homework before the weekend because things will start to pile up.”

— Vallejo

Mentors not only give the freshmen advice, but also show them how to put it into practice. In their weekly meetings, they show them how to use apps like, google classroom, plusportals, and showbie. They also help them find better ways to prepare for tests, and how to organize their agendas.

While the advice given to the freshmen in the program may be customized to fit their particular circumstance, many of them are experiencing similar situations. For this reason, the program is meant to spread information from junior mentors to the freshmen mentees, while also encouraging them to apply it to their own studies and spread it to their peers, so the whole freshman class can benefit. 

Mentors stay in touch with the woman who started it all, Mrs. Blanco, so she can give them input and help them out if they have any questions about how to go about being a good mentor, and role model for the young freshmen. 

“My advice to the mentors, do not underestimate the assistance you give, and know that any little tip that you teach could really have an impact on the mentees at Lourdes as a whole,” Blanco said. “My advice to the mentees is to listen and practice what the juniors teach you, as well as to share it with the other freshmen who don’t have a mentor.”

Not only does Mrs. Blanco have advice for those in the program, but she also has advice for anyone looking to start a program like hers that might help the community around them. 

“Really identify the need, identify the resources you will need to provide the assistance, and then go for it”, Blanco said. “ Never be afraid of the obstacles or fear that you may have in starting something new.”