Service Fair Showcases Student Philanthropy

Lucia Moglia

Rows of tables displaying student-led service organizations filled the cafeteria on October 5th for the annual OLLA Service Fair. This event, spearheaded by service coordinator Mrs. Alina Muir and Leadership Skills teacher Mrs. Minoso provides students with the chance to showcase their projects and learn about all the service opportunities at school. 

“I had a great time at the fair promoting my project and recruiting new volunteers for an exciting year of my service organization Celebrating the GIFT of you,” senior Claudia Portocarrero said.

Like Portocarrero, many students have initiated their service organizations as part of the Honors Leadership Skills class. In this course, students get together in groups throughout the semester to work towards their service project goals. Some collect items for the homeless, while others organize events at retirement homes. The possibilities for aid are endless.

“I started my service organization, Sewing for Service, which gives sewing classes at retirement homes, during the COVID-19 pandemic,” senior Amelia Frías said. “But through the leadership class, my group has worked towards expanding what we do, such as running drives for class supplies.”

Mrs. Minoso is grateful that this event is available to all the students at Lourdes. She especially loves giving her students a chance to present their hard work. At the service fair many hours of brainstorming and hashing out an organization from the bottom up is brought to a climax.

“The service fair is a great opportunity to showcase all of the talent and philanthropy that happens at our school,” Mrs. Minoso said. “Service is a pillar of our Catholic education and our girls are a testament to that.”

65 service organizations presented at the fair. Their boards were put together to outline all the opportunities the individual projects offer.

“The service fair was really helpful for finding places where I can get my hours done,” junior Laura Calvache said. “By looking at their eye-catching boards I discovered the projects whose missions aligned with what I care about.”

This annual event is a cornerstone of the school’s service learning program. This year was a success, but there are still plans in the works for an even better event experience for next year.

“We plan to have the fair during Focus next year so that our full student body has a chance to attend,” Mrs. Miñoso said. “Nonetheless, I am proud of the girls and the commitment to their projects and community.”