Immaculee Ilibagiza spoke to the school community about her faith journey after the Rwandan Genocide. (Paola Lista)
Immaculee Ilibagiza spoke to the school community about her faith journey after the Rwandan Genocide.

Paola Lista

Resilience, Faith and Forgiveness with Immaculee Ilibagiza

October 27, 2022

The gym filled with anticipation as eight hundred students and faculty awaited the long expected arrival of the renowned figure they’ve heard and read about for months. When Immaculee Ilibagiza walked in, hope, faith, and humility became incarnate before the audience’s eyes. In unison, the student body, faculty and staff stood up and the frenzied accumulation of applause greeted the speaker.

Immaculee Ilibagiza shares her account of the Rwandan genocide and how God interceded in her life.

For the first time in school history, the theology department designed a school-wide assignment. Every student was tasked with reading Left to Tell, by  Ilibagiza, a survivor of the Rwandan Genocide. In the aftermath of her survival, Ilibagiza is now a motivational speaker and woman of strong faith. On Friday, October 21st, the school had the pleasure of hearing from Ilibagiza herself in a school wide assembly.

Book Came To Life

This initiative was spearheaded by Social Justice teacher, Ms. Carolina Ramirez, who read the book 15 years ago and said it “changed her life.”

“It really challenged me to look at forgiveness in a different way,” Ms. Ramirez said. “I feel like her story changed me and my faith journey.”

Ms. Ramirez worked closely with the administration to make this event happen. When the day of Ilibagiza’s visit finally came, students filed into the gym ready to put a face to the inspiring story. 

“Seeing Immaculee and reading her book was an ‘ah-ha’ moment for me. She LIVED through the Rwandan genocide and that experience only strengthened her faith in a loving God. It is her deep faith that inspires and strengthens my own,” said social studies teacher Mrs. Miriann Meyeringh, who studied the Rwandan genocide in college. 

“Meeting Immaculee was like meeting your favorite character in a book,” senior Alina Rodriguez said. “I was incredibly inspired by her faith in the rosary and in her empathy for our community, especially when she told us that she understands the pain of grief and loss. Immaculee reminded me that everything gets better with God by our side.”

Like Rodriguez, many students were moved by Ilibagiza’s talk and book, but they were especially honored to have received signed copies of the memoir and other items, such as rosaries, an emblem of Ilibagiza’s faith message. 

Immaculee Ilibagiza signs copies of her book for the school community.

The Extraordinary Impact

The true symbol of Ilibagiza’s faith, other than the book and the rosary, is herself. During the genocide, Ilibagiza promised she would devote her life to God if she survived, and she has held up her promise. She found the strength to return to Rwanda on service missions to lift up the country and help young school kids. “Evil is going to exist no matter what,” she said. “Choose goodness during every moment. Write a book, start an organization, commit yourself to service and kindness.”

Ilibagiza’s message can be applied to all aspects of life, even in difficult circumstances. In the wake of our community’s loss, Ilibagiza encourages us to spend time together, praying and remembering our friend.

“Grieving will happen no matter what, but make sure you grieve with God and each other,” Ilibagiza said. “Remember to pray for her and always honor her memory.” 

The school community was blessed to have hosted Immaculee Ilibagiza. She radiates a pureness of soul worthy of experiencing in person. She hopes her talk has inspired the Lourdes girls to go out into the world, being a beacon of hope and goodness. She left the students with one final word of advice. 

“Ask yourself ‘How can I be the light?’”