Teacher of the Year

Deacon+Louis+Phang+Sang+wins+Distinguished+Catholic+Educator+of+the+year%21+

Deacon Louis Phang Sang wins Distinguished Catholic Educator of the year!

Alexa Sabogal

Compassionate, understanding, and the “biggest cheerleader,” are just some of the many words used to describe this year’s Distinguished Catholic Educator, Deacon Louis Phang Sang. 

On Monday, January 30, the school started celebrating Catholic Schools week with a mass, where Deacon Louis was recognized for his commitment to the school and his love for his students. Since he started teaching at school in 2018, Deacon has managed to touch so many lives and has become an integral part of the Lourdes community. 

Deacon Louis was born in Port Antonio, Jamaica and moved to the United States in 1972 with his wife and his first born daughter. After working in various jobs, such as landscaping and construction, he was ordained a deacon in 2000. However, Deacon always had one goal.

“All my life, all I wanted to do was teach,” said Deacon. 

Deacon Louis began teaching after graduating from St. Thomas University in 2007. Since then, he has worked at Archbishop Curley high school and Immaculate Conception, all before eventually finding his way to Lourdes. 

“My life was like a jigsaw puzzle and all the pieces fell into place,” said Deacon. 

Deacon now teaches sophomore theology and has impacted many of the students he has taught, through his meaningful reflections on the Word of God and his interesting lectures. 

Deacon Joey Carrion. who studied to become a deacon with Deacon Louis, surprised him at the mass

“I remember being in Deacon’s class and listening to him talk about whatever reading we listened to in that class,” said senior Natalie Lopez. “He always found a way to help us learn from these readings and really understand what the message was.”

However, Deacon’s influence on the school goes past the classroom walls and onto the fields. Deacon is an avid supporter of sports and constantly makes time to attend every Bobcat game possible, especially the soccer and volleyball games. 

“Deacon never fails to show up for our games, pray with us, and cheer us on the entire game,” said junior soccer player Nicole Wendelken. “The games would not be the same without him.”

Deacon Louis attends almost every soccer and volleyball game, and makes an effort to support other sports as well. He does this because he not only believes in the importance of sports, but also in the importance of a teacher’s support in and out of the classroom. 

“Going to the games is not a duty,” said Deacon. “We need to support you young ladies in whatever you do.”

Whether it be in a class, during a mass, or at a game, students are constantly happy to see Deacon and he is always open to talk, or even just to give a hug to whoever may need it. No matter how big of a role he has played in his student’s lives, he wants all his students to remember to live a life of service and that our lives are not only about us, but also about those who love us and those we love. 

“I look at life from this perspective; We are a pebble and are cast out into life’s pond and the good that we do sends ripples to life’s shores because it affects everyone,” said Deacon. 

Deacon has truly been an example of giving everything for others and being there when others need it.