The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Welcome Back Bobcats!

The 2023-2024 school year has officially begun and students are back on campus.
Foxmar
Seniors celebrating their last first day of school in front of the school

August 14 marked the official start of the 2023-2024 school year, as all students returned to campus ready for the new year. 

The week began on Monday, when the newest bobcats were welcomed to their home for the next four years. Freshman Orientation was led by the current Student Council in hopes of introducing the freshmen to the school and each other. 

The day began in the gym, where each member of the class of 2027 met with their respective FOCUS and were greeted by the administration. The rest of the day consisted of various activities, such as “Little Miss Lourdes Girl,” where the girls learned what it meant to be a true Lourdes girl and how to act in school, mass, and on social media. Sister Carmen, president of the school, spoke to students about the history of the school and the IHM Sisters in a session called “With Mary in All Things.” After lunch, the freshmen all competed against each other in games in the gym.

Freshmen begin their freshman orientation and prepare to watch this year’s theme video (Alexa Sabogal)

“I thought orientation was great because everyone was so welcoming,” freshman Gianna Piloto said, “The games were really fun and a great way to meet new people and connect with my FOCUS.”

The Freshman Orientation was a way for the Class of 2027 to get to know each other and their new school before joining the upperclassmen on campus. It served as an opportunity for them to get more comfortable with the members of their FOCUS and learn about everything the school has to offer. 

On Wednesday, all classes were welcomed back for All School Orientation. The first half of the day, students had the opportunity to meet all their teachers and attend all their classes, with 10 minutes to visit each class. Later, the girls had a “Bobcat Brunch” in the form of school-wide lunches, where everyone was able to eat together in the Grotto. After brunch, students were split into their respective grades in order to participate in the next rotations: class meetings and the iconic Lourdes Lyrical Loop. The class meetings served as a way to remind everyone of the expectations on campus, introduce them to some new procedures, and get everyone excited about what is coming this year. Lyrical Loop is a fun activity that allows each grade to bond with their class since they are challenged to create a quick dancing clip for their appointed part of a music video that is then shot in one try, with no reruns. Students are given 20 minutes to choreograph their section and then are recorded. The results will be broadcasted on OLLA TV. 

“It is our second year hosting this event, and it is priceless seeing all of the girl’s faces during the video,” Executive Board President Paulina Varona said, “Personally, I love watching the final product come together by the amazing Mrs. Retana.”

Mrs. Retana films the sophomore lyrical loop in the Grotto patio (Foxmar )

The day came to a close with a school-wide mass in the gym. This was a great way for everyone to center themselves after a fun-filled day and come together to pray for a safe and productive school year. 

“School-wide masses are always amazing, but this one in particular was my favorite because it was the first one of my last year of high school,” senior Isabella Perez said, “It was a great way to unite the whole school to pray for our common intentions for this year.”

Overall, the first week of school helped get everyone back into a routine and ready to make this a memorable year.