The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Athletic Trainer Heals and Guides

Emma Diaz
Belinda helps with the Rehabilitation of many school athletes, such as Senior Ashley Pennie. Belinda has seen her everyday for two weeks, for dry needling and massages, preparing Pennie for the upcoming soccer season.

At school, students struggle to find their purpose and what they want to do. People like Athletic Trainer Ms. Belinda Rodriguez inspire these students in figuring out their vocations.

Belinda has worked at the school for nine years; she is the head athletic trainer and the director of the sports medicine program at the school. She inspires her students to join the sports med program and continues to help them throughout their four years with both knowledge and encouragement.

“Belinda has taught me so much over the past two years. I discovered my love for medicine with her, and she has helped me nourish my passion and supported me in everything I’ve done,” senior Andrea Laluz said.

Belinda’s inspiration sticks with graduates of the program. Isabela Fernandez, class of 2022, worked with Belinda for only a year. Through this time, she helped athletes recover quickly from injuries and overload. She learned to wrap ankles, provide cupping therapy, and massage muscles. 

“Belinda impacted my years at OLLA by exposing me to unique experiences that have fueled my passion to become a physician,” Fernandez said. 

Belinda has not only left an impression on her girls but on her fellow faculty members. The Athletic Director, Ms. Maura Herrholz, was inclined to hire Belinda because of her passion for athletic training and her knowledgeability. 

“I think she truly enjoys what she is doing, and it shows with how she treats the girls and the success she’s had as an athletic trainer,” Herrholz said. “Her passion is contagious; she is giving her students hands-on experience because she trusts them and she lets them actively participate, and I think this is what sparks an interest in many of the girls.”

Belinda not only helps students taking her class, but she also treats all student athletes’ injuries. Senior Elena Fallow, received a concussion last year during cheerleading practice, and Belinda helped her every day, making sure she got healthy enough to cheer again.

Honestly, if it wasn’t for Belinda, I don’t know what I would’ve done. She took such good care of me, and I’m just so grateful she was there to help.

— Senior Elena Fallow

Every year, Belinda chooses a student trainer to be the head student trainer. This year, that student is senior Nicole Wendelkin. Nicole has trained under Belinda since her first year, coming in even when she wasn’t a part of the class. Belinda has taken Nicole under her wing and has taught her everything possible in her four years here at the school.

“The first day I walked into the training room, I saw Belinda working, and something in me just clicked. I love working with her, and I’ve seen her effect on people so many times, and it’s just so inspiring,” Wendelken said.

Belinda may be the inspiration, but giving these girls a peek into the life of an athletic trainer has also impacted Belinda. She has grown to love her students just as much as they have loved her.

“We all grew close to each other; we’ve all become a big family here. I’m raising the next generation of athletic trainers and future medical professionals that I know will be doing amazing things in the future and doing groundbreaking stuff. If I can Inspire one person to do something good with their hands and heal someone, then I did my job,” Belinda said.

Being a teacher may not have been Belinda’s first choice, but being able to inspire the next generation of doctors, nurses, and physical therapists has impacted her in a way she never thought possible. The students she has touched will never forget how Belinda trained them, and they will carry what she taught them in whatever they do.

Belinda had her own mentor, Doctor Eva Frank. She trained Belinda from her Bachelor’s degree through graduate school.  

“She was the one who inspired me to pick my major in athletic training, and I owe her everything,” Belinda said. “It is amazing to give students that same guidance in their own lives.”