The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Turning Crafts into a Career

Frances Ryan
Junior Frances Ryan with her handmade, Aureate Mini Tote.

During her freshman year, junior Frances Ryan learned how to crochet while volunteering for an OLLA service organization, called Why Knot Love, which collects crochet donations to donate to people in need. Ryan soon found out that she loved to crochet and wanted to do it as more than just a hobby. She decided to start her own crochet business, which she named Frances Crocheting. Ryan sells handmade crochet goods, like clothes, stuffed animals, decorations, etc.

“Once I picked up crocheting, I immediately fell in love with all the possibilities of the things I could make with just yarn and a crochet hook,” Ryan said. “I did some research on different projects I could make as gifts for people and the proper tools I would need, and Frances Crocheting was born!”

Starting a small business is a hard thing to do for everyone but it’s especially difficult for a 16-year-old, who still has to juggle school and other extracurricular activities. Like all new business owners, Ryan faced her fair share of challenges.

“One of the first challenges I faced, and still face, while starting Frances Crocheting was finishing the products in a timely manner,” Ryan said. “Since each product is handmade, it’s hard to balance my time wisely to get my customers the product they ordered in a timely manner.”

Frances was lucky enough to have an amazing support system throughout the entire process of starting Frances Crocheting. Her OLLA sisters and her family were there supporting her, by promoting her shop and even purchasing a few crocheted items themselves.

“Frances is one of the most dedicated and hardworking people I know,” junior Natalie Pando said. “She spends a lot of time on her business and perfecting it to what she thinks would benefit her clients the most. I have never seen anyone create a business with as much passion for something they love like Frances.”

Ryan is an inspiration to young entrepreneurs and teenagers who are looking to start their own business, but don’t know where to start.

“If you’re looking to start your own business, my one piece of advice is just go for it,” Frances Ryan said. “It is so exciting watching money go into your bank account and seeing your customers’ reaction when they get the product they ordered, however, make sure that you are committed to operating the business. But in general, have fun!”