The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

New Year, New Beginnings

Mia Rodriguez

As the clock strikes twelve on New Year’s Eve, we find ourselves standing at the start of a brand new chapter, one filled with new opportunities and challenges. The significance of the New Year lies not just in the turning of a calendar page but in the idea that, despite the challenges that we have faced in the past, we are granted a clean slate.

As we go through the twists and turns of life, we cling to this idea of renewal more and more, which is why we make New Year’s resolutions. They give us an outlet to express our desire for self-improvement and positive change. Whether it be committing to healthier habits or pursuing new hobbies, resolutions serve as our own personal way of positive change.

Even though we all go into the new year with faith in ourselves and our ability to see through our resolutions, it is a widely known fact that most of us give up on them by the end of February. This is mostly caused by either a lack of patience or unrealistic expectations, which is why we should all approach our resolutions with a sense of kindness and understanding. Remember that you’re only human and the best things in life come with time, so it’s okay if it takes a little longer to achieve the results you were hoping for.

It’s also okay to just enjoy the period of transition and embrace it for what it is: a blank canvas. In a world that often feels fast-paced and unrelenting, the arrival of the New Year offers a momentary pause. It’s an invitation to relax and reward yourself for facing whatever challenges and obstacles were thrown at you in the past and a reminder to enjoy the present because every year seems as if it goes quicker than the last.

It may seem as if everything is out of your control but once that ball finally drops, all of the power is back into your hands. You are free to do whatever you want and be whoever you want, and all it takes is a desire for change.
Here’s to the New Year — to fresh starts, uncharted adventures, and the boundless possibilities that await us all. May it be a year of growth, joy, and the discovery of the extraordinary within the ordinary moments of life.