The Changes at the “Happiest Place On Earth“ After Phased Reopening

Walt Disney World has welcomed back visitors to all four Walt Disney theme parks and Disney Springs with new safety protocols after being closed due to COVID-19.

Mia Michele Aviles, Assistant Editor

After shutting down for four months, Disney’s Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom opened on July 11th, and the other two parks, Hollywood Studios and Epcot, reopened four days later on July 15th. During that time, there were some renovations in the parks, the most noticeable being the repainting and restoration of Cinderella’s castle in Magic Kingdom. After phased reopening, there have been a lot of changes to the way we experience the parks we know and love. As stated on the Walt Disney World website, park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same day are required for entry of visitors ages 3 and up. Disney has made updates based on guidance from the CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other government agencies to promote enhanced cleaning, physical distancing, and reduced contact.

Face coverings are required for guests ages 2 and up and all Cast Members, and visitors may be subjected to temperature screenings upon entry to some locations. The My Disney Experience App, available for iPhones, iPads, and Android smartphones, has a wide variety of helpful features, and is now used more than ever to reduce contact. For example, it can be used to display the map and wait times for the parks, to scan restaurant menu codes, and for mobile order service dining. Throughout the parks, there are markers on the ground and signs to help guests navigate heavily trafficked common areas and practice social distancing. In ride waiting queues and at cash registers, physical barriers are placed to promote proper distance and prevent spread. Cashless transactions have been put in place to reduce contact, and guests are free to use credit cards, debit cards, MagicBands, Disney Gift Cards, to purchase items.

Several Lourdes students have visited Walt Disney World after their phased reopening and have stated that they were pleasantly surprised with how well they were following protocols to keep everyone safe. Junior Mia Martinez described her experience saying, “They’re so good about everything there. Everyone has masks on, even to take photos. Anytime you touch something, there’s a Cast Member right behind you sanitizing whatever it was.” Similarly, Junior Jacquelyn Santa Maria said of her time at Magic Kingdom, “Disney was so organized, clean, and safe. It made for a really enjoyable trip this summer. The crowd levels were super low! I think this is how Disney should always be.”