College Decision Anticipation

Bianca Estevez, staff

Although December is consumed with Christmas activities and music, seniors are dealing with the stress of college acceptance letters. For students who apply to universities for early action, decisions begin to flood in on the first day of December.

“I applied to several colleges for early action and am very nervous since my application portal could be updated any day in December. Hopefully I will find out soon so these nerves can go away,” senior Emma Diaz said.

When applying early action colleges do not give a specific date on when the decisions will be posted. The colleges usually just state that they will inform applicants in mid-December. This uncertainty can cause a lot of stress on senior highschool students.

“I wish I knew what date my decision will be released so I could stop checking my application portal everyday,” senior Mia Tapasco said.

Most seniors who applied early decision also receive their decision throughout December. Early decision compares from early action since it is a binding contract with the college. If the student is accepted to the college they are ED to, they must attend and withdraw all other applications. Any student who applies ED will know the college they’re going to attend to 4 years in December.

“Although I didn’t apply early decision, my cousin did and was already admitted. She’s lucky enough to no longer have to stress about college stuff for the rest of senior year,” senior Isabella Delgado said.

December is depicted as the month full of cheer and relaxation, but does not seem that way for seniors who anticipate college decisions.