Food Truck Frenzy

To ring in the new year and the start of the second semester, the school community is getting the taste of street food on campus with food trucks.

Over the winter break, students received word of the new cohort distributions as well as news about the fresh addition to the lunch blocks, only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For $10 or less, students will get to taste the flavors of local vendors as well as foods from trucks they are already familiar with.

Administration and staff have curated a line of food trucks specifically catered to the school’s demographic. Mrs. Procce, Director of the Bobcat Boutique, described the reasoning behind bringing this flair to our lunch blocks.

“We had our first day Tuesday and I think the girls loved it,” Mrs. Procce said, “It was fun to have lunch trucks for the girls.”

She sees future success in the trucks because “Cuban Guys” did extremely well. Some of the future foods and vendors the school community can anticipate are pizza, salads, sushi, ice cream, donuts, and Raw South: the last of which already has the school’s stamp of approval. The Administration is looking for popular options with the school community.

The food trucks give our students the chance to get a slice of a local business they otherwise wouldn’t have explored. Freshmen Nicole Beteta purchased a “Fruitella Crepe” from Thursday’s vendor, Crepe Maker. “I really liked the idea because I usually have to pack my own food and I didn’t have to today,” Beteta said.

She agrees that the lunch blocks have had their own meal makeover; everything’s better when it’s prepared for you. Although the high demand for crepes did cause longer lines, Beteta felt the food trucks were successful.

Beneficial to both customers and business owners, the trucks are prioritizing small businesses during a time when it’s hard to stay afloat and introducing the community to an infinite variety of flavors and cuisines.