Zoos Can’t Move 

Stephania Lopez

Sophomore Giselle Urbina believes in the sanctuary that zoos afford different animal populations.

Giselle Urbina, Staff Writer

One of the greatest dilemmas of our day and age is whether or not zoos should be banned. I believe that they shouldn’t because of the fact that they protect certain species from extinction, help researchers, and help to educate everyday people about wildlife and conservation efforts. 

Have you ever gone to the zoo and seen the sign “Less than 5,000 left in the wild?” That is because almost all of the local zoos across the country house endangered animals. A huge part of why zoos were created in the first place was to protect the number of species out there.

While rare animals could go extinct in the wild, something we have no control over, the zoologists here can help breed these animals and keep their numbers up. For example, the San Diego Zoo is home to the vulnerable Giant Panda. They are partnered with facilities in China that specialize in helping the population growth of these animals and have expert tips in taking care of them.

In zoos and sanctuaries such as these, people who have dedicated their lives to help a certain species provide these animals with around the clock care. From a rare tiger from India or a unique Toucan from Brazil , many species wouldn’t be alive or would be on the brink of extinction with the removal of zoos. It is because of our national zoos that these animals continue to populate. 

Another benefit of having zoos around is that we have access to new information that could never be discovered in the wild. Due to researchers’ quick access to these animals, they are able to make observations easily and accurately. Professionals are able to experiment with what works for these animals best to the point that we learn more about their eating patterns, sleeping habits, and more. Zoologists are now more educated because new research regarding all animals is being spread world-wide.

The discoveries that these scientists make impact the world significantly by helping experts in the field manage animals in the wild and other zoos take better care of their own animals. While it may be difficult to say, part of why these animals are successfully living in the wild is because of the fact that others are in captivity. The groundbreaking information that is discovered about the different species in zoos is a vital part of why the population numbers  in the wild are growing. 

It is no secret that going to zoos is one of America’s favorite pastimes. Whether it is taking the new baby or the eager toddler, our zoos get a lot of attention from the people. However, this isn’t a bad thing. Certain people think that the animals inside are being abused and tormented for the pleasure of the people.When the reality is, the attention that these animals receive helps bring awareness to wildlife and conservation efforts.

People are becoming more educated about the animal itself and their everyday living conditions than when they walked in. While yes, some zoos are corrupt, the majority aren’t. If people observe the treatment of animals at their local zoo, they could report misconduct and have the animals sent to a better establishment. Having people take the initiative to learn about these creatures and observe the way that they are living, helps the animals not only at the zoos but the undomesticated.

I think beyond a shadow of a doubt that zoos should be kept around. Due to population increase, new information being discovered, and informing the public, they benefit both the animals in them and out. 

Zoos are a major part of our society whether it be one as famous as the Central Park Zoo or something personal like local Zoo Miami. However, one thing is for certain: our zoos can’t move!