Start of a Sophomore Junior Tradition

Alexa Sabogal

Sophomores and Juniors participate in the first ever Sophomore-Junior Ghetty

The iconic “Big Sister, Little Sister Ghetty” is a great way to create a bond between the seniors and their freshmen little sisters, but what a better way to further the sisterhood than to get the sophomores and juniors involved too?

On Wednesday, August 31, the sophomore and junior councils held the first ever “Sophomore-Junior Ghetty.” This event took place during FOCUS and was a great way to get the two “middle” grades involved in building a stronger school community. 

“Since the freshmen and the seniors always get something, we thought it would also be good to include everyone into the sisterhood by having a little activity for the sophomores and the juniors as well,” junior class president Luciana Picasso said.

Sophomores Bianca Sanchez, Antonella Monsalve, and Olivia Rodriguez scramble to find juniors’ signatures.

In hopes of getting everyone involved, the student council prepared a game called “People Bingo,” in which each girl was given a sheet of paper with 28 unique questions, such as “never wore braces,” or “someone who has a twin that is a boy.” The objective of the game was to try to get as many people as possible from the other grade to sign under a question which pertains to them, as fast as possible. The person who got the most signatures in the fastest amount of time won, and received a $25 gift card for the bobcat boutique. For the juniors, the winner was Gabriella Gomez and for the sophomores it was Miranda Lopez Contreras.

The main focus of this activity was to help these two grades get to know each other better and implant stronger sisterhood bonds. 

“We wanted to start this event so that the girls could create friendships outside of their grades,” sophomore council member, Bianca Baena said. 

Throughout the school year it gets difficult for students to go out of their way to meet new people, especially from different grades,  because they are caught up in their own work, which is why many enjoyed this experience and took it as a way of learning new and interesting things about others. 

Junior Alyssa Diaz, sophomores Caterina Arner and Ina Esquijarosa, and junior Mia Garrandes with Mr. Hart at the Ghetty.

“My favorite part was getting to know a lot of sophomores and learning things about them that I wouldn’t learn in a normal conversation,” said junior Sophia Gonzalez-Abreu.

Overall, this Ghetty was a great way to get all grades involved in the iconic sisterhood and community at school and council hopes to continue the tradition for years to come.