Sisterhood Strengthens After Terrible Accident

On Sunday September 4, 2022 a boat, described as a 29’ Robalo, crashed in Boca Chita Key. Passengers consisted of twelve girls, six of which attended the school, as well as two adults.

There was a prayer service held Tuesday morning at the school. (Ms. Rebecca Q. Retana)

There were fourteen people on the boat in total, ten out of the fourteen passengers were injured. Senior Lucy Fernandez did not survive the crash. It has been stated that the boat crashed into a channel marker and capsized. Four of the passengers sustaining severe injuries were airlifted to nearby hospitals. 

Senior Coco Aguilar sustained two fractures in one of her arms, and underwent surgery, and has already been sent home. Senior Katy Puig is still in the hospital recovering from her injuries.

“She is heading in the right direction, and we continue to pray for her recovery,”  Dean of Enrollment and Engagement Ms. Olga Martinez said.

There is one other  student from Carrollton who has been hospitalized and whose name and injuries have been requested to be kept private.

This whole accident has had an immense impact on the entire school community. The administrations and Faculty are  encouraging students to remind those around them how much they truly love each other.  There are many posts circling on social media with the quote, “Say I love you to your friends sincerely and often,” which has followed the girls closely as they have struggled making it through the week. 

This is the sunrise students watched. Seeing a blue light they just knew was Lucy.

Students, Faculty, and Alumnae gathered to pray the rosary in remembrance of  Fernandez on  Monday evening in the Grotto. The following day the senior class gathered at Matheson Hammock Park before school to watch the sunrise to honor her as well.

“We see you beautiful Lucy” stated a post by the school watching the sunrise.

There have been several masses in her memory both at Epiphany Church and here at the school. Friday, Sept. 9 the school came together for a school-wide mass in celebration of Lucy’s life.

Students are just beginning to return to their new normal, keeping their friends in the accident in their prayers as well as Lucy’s family. The school has made a huge effort to provide  grief counseling and spiritual guidance  for all students and faculty when needed. 

The funeral mass will be held at Epiphany Catholic Church on Monday, September 12th and will  celebrate the life of Lucy for all Family and friends who wish to attend.