Journalism Day Journey

Grotto News and OllaTv staff venture to FSPA Journalism Day at FIU.

Seniors Isa Faraldo, Hailey Hernandez, and Gaby Fernandez show off the workshop merch. (Cici Rionda)

Bobcats on the Prowl. Students from OllaTv and The Grotto News Staff. participated in the annual Florida Scholastic Press Association district 6 workshop at FIU’s campus on Monday, October 3.

Over 800 high school and middle school students gathered at FIU’s main campus and had the opportunity to sit in on lectures regarding everything from design, writing, broadcasting, and social media. 

“Field trips were put on pause for a while so this was a fun experience because I haven’t done a field trip in a long time. It was especially fun because I was doing something that I enjoy.” OllaTv sophomore Justina Maldonado said.

The Miami Heat’s  Jason Jackson was the keynote speaker of the workshop. (Cici Rionda)

The day started off with keynote guest speaker Jason Jackson, the TV Host/Courtside Reporter for The Miami Heat. He gave students inspiration to follow their ambitions in all things journalism and broadcasting.

“He was very knowledgeable and helped me learn more about broadcast journalism,” junior Sarah Chavez from OllaTV said.

The girls were able to choose two different seminars out of 7 different guest speakers. 

“My favorite guest speaker was Patrick Sicher, a teacher from South Dade. He was very impressive and taught me a lesson on print media and the importance of bringing pages to life,” senior Carmen Rionda said. 

The Devil is in the details workshop was focused on new concepts in print media. (Cici Rionda)

The OllaTv girls specifically went to the ”best of the best” broadcast seminar. 

“We watched other schools broadcast packages and other schools critiqued our own package. It was good to learn what exactly people are looking for when submitting a package to the contests” senior Diana Rincón said.  

The workshop ended with an award ceremony where students were recognized for previous work. Students previously submitted materials for the Fall 2022 digital contests. Four student winners included OllaTv members- Carolina Timiraos, Micaela Perez, Allison Norman, and Massima Ponce. Juniors Carolina and Micaela won an “excellent” award in Broadcast Show Opening. Junior Allison Norman won an “All-Florida” award in Broadcast Show Opening. Lastly, Senior Massima Ponce won an “excellent” award also in Broadcast Show Opening.

Senior Isa Acevedo accepts the All- Florida Recognition for Best Show Open. (Cici Rionda)