Exploring Career Possibilities

Alexa Sabogal

Most high school students don’t know what career they want to pursue in the future, but the externship program at school is a great way for students to start to see the many possibilities available to them. This program was started by Mrs. Michelle Minoso last year in order to provide students with the opportunity to get real-world experiences and explore their career interests outside of school. 

“It is important for them to leave the classroom and walk into a workspace and really see what people do on a day-to-day basis,” said Mrs. Minoso. “Sometimes people think they want to do something, and then when they see it in action, they decide they don’t want to do that anymore.”

For the 2021-2022 year, the program had 150 students participate and 13 different industries were made available. Through this program, students shadow workers in these different fields and get to spend a day in their life, to see what their day would be like if they chose to pursue that career. The program aims to fit various areas of interest, such as advertising, journalism, dentistry, real estate, and travel.

Students spend the day at the Miami Dade State Attorney’s office.

“I love the diversity the program has because it helps indecisive people like me see different options and possibilities for the future,” said junior Luciana Picasso. 

The externship program helps students experience what it is like to work in different fields, as well as form professional relationships for the future.