Sisterhood in Soccer

The soccer team embodied what it means to be “unbreakable” during this incredibly special season.

Bella Nuñez, Editor in Chief

Unbreakable— the one word that encapsulates all that the soccer team displayed this season. This season was one of strength, support, and sisterhood as each player was driven with the inspired passion that captain Katy Puig has for the game which took them, for the fourth year in a row, to the State Championship. Because of this, the season was one like no other.

“When I look back at this season, it stands out from the rest of them. It was something so special that I know all of us will never forget,” says senior Rebecca Sampedro. “I couldn’t have asked for a better group of coaches and girls to play with.”

The team celebrating their 6-1 win at the State-semi final game versus Sunlake. (Courtesy of Bella Nuñez)

The team was led by Head Coach David Fique and assistant coaches Daniel Cardona, Carlos Villa, and Richie Kerzer and it was made up of twenty-five players. Four out of the ten seniors have been on the varsity team since their freshman year. These players— Coco Aguilar, Gaby Paredes, Katy Puig, and Stephi Wyzkowski— made it to the State Final each year. Specifically, Coco Aguilar started in all four state final games and after her final one, she obtained a total of 51 goals and 30 assists throughout her high school career. Her talent and passion for the sport was recognized as she was named by the Miami Herald the Girls’ Soccer 5A-7A Player of the Year.

“Lourdes Soccer has been one of the best experiences I have ever had and I am so thankful I got to be a part of it,” says senior Coco Aguilar. “It has led me to have so many friends I can call my family and mentors I look up to. It will forever hold a special place in my heart.”

While Aguilar was named Player of the Year, she and several other players were recognized by the Miami Herald, as well. Seniors Rebecca Sampedro and Gabriella Paredes and junior Tessa Abreu made First Team All-Dade. Second Team All-Dade consisted of sophomores Sienna Aviles, Lauren Cancio, and Antonella Monsalve, junior Alex Diaz, and senior Haley Serrato. Sophomore Lia Chantres made Third Team All-Dade. 

“I’m beyond blessed to have received this recognition but it definitely wouldn’t have happened without my amazing team and coach constantly pushing me to be the best I can be,” junior Tessa Abreu said.

Moreover, the head coach David Fique was named Coach of the Year for Classes 5A-7A for the second year in a row.

“State Runners-Up, and to think that we would make it back to State finals at the beginning of our season was an understatement. This group of girls with a record of 18-2-2 showed all season long how much hard work really pays off. I haven’t seen a team so determined to represent their captain, with strength and drive into every game with an unbreakable mentality. I am so proud of what we accomplished this year and I know we will be back. Our future is bright.”

— Coach David Fique

The team had an exceptional season with a total of eighteen wins and just two losses. They were named District Champions, Regional Champions, and State Runner-Up. Although the team was unable to secure their nineteenth win at the State Final game, the triumph is held in the hearts of the entire community as the nineteenth win lies in the remarkable recovery that senior Katy Puig #19 is experiencing today.

The team remains “unbreakable” and #KatyStrong as they continue to inspire all those who support them.