Senior Gaby Garrido Selected as a Questbridge Scholar.

Receives a full- tuition scholarship to Columbia University.

Carolina Fernandez, j1 staff

Columbia University is an Ivy League school with an acceptance rate between 3-4%. Notable alumni include former president Barack Obama and current White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre. Senior Gabriella Garrido received a full ride scholarship including tuition, boarding, fees, books, and supplies through a nonprofit program called QuestBridge. QuestBridge has helped thousands of high performing low income students reach their full potential by providing scholarships to top programs across the country. 

“It’s a nonprofit program for students within three categories: low income, first generation student, or strong academically. Students can fit into more than one of the categories, however it’s mainly for low income students” Garrido said. 

The QuestBridge application process is very different from most scholarships. 

“The first part is a questionnaire, and some mini paragraphs of about 400 words or less. If you are a finalist the next step is to apply to fifteen of their partner colleges and you have to rank them in order of your preference. They go down the order of your list and the highest rank college that accepts you is where you’re going. It’s like applying for early decision in a sense. Although you don’t have a complete choice in where you go, if your top choice doesn’t accept you, but a lower one does, that’s where you’re going to go.” 

The QuestBridge process can be a bit intimidating, so Garrido offered some advice to Lourdes girls wanting to apply. 

“I would apply early because there are a lot more writing supplements than you would do for a normal college application because you are also applying for a scholarship. Take your time to answer the questions as these will determine if you get accepted as a finalist. If you do become a finalist, you have to remember you may not match with your top college. You go to the one you are matched with and that’s final, so really take that into consideration when you’re applying.”