The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Exploring the Heart of Literature

Junior+Angelique+Rodriguez+writing+an+essay+for+Mrs.+Castaneda%E2%80%99s+English+III+Honors+class.+
Emma Diaz
Junior Angelique Rodriguez writing an essay for Mrs. Castaneda’s English III Honors class.

In the world of words and imagination, the school’s English Department stands as a beacon, nurturing the minds of Lourdes students and shaping their love for writing.

The president of this department, Mrs. Edith Diaz, passes on her passion for writing to every student so that they may excel in the subject and find joy in the art of crafting a story. Even though this is her first year as president, Mrs. Diaz has been teaching at the school since 1992. She has taught a variety of classes, from creative writing to currently AP English Language. 

Mrs. Halliday, a former student, has joined Team OLLA as well as part of the English department teaching English Honors I to freshmen. 

“This year we are lucky to have a new member, Mrs. Kathleen Halliday,” Mrs. Diaz said. “She is great with the freshmen and she has an amazing connection with them.”

As the year progresses, the English department is hoping to add more opportunities for kids to express themselves in the form of writing, whether it is by poetry, essays, or plays. 

“We are trying to integrate poetry contests and writing contests for our girls to participate in and be able to show off their talent, because I do believe that we can win,” Mrs. Diaz said. 

According to Mrs. Diaz, the hope of the English Department is to encourage students to submit more of their material to be showcased through the Literati, which is a culmination of student artwork and writing. 

The English Department here is one of the most supportive, funniest, and smartest groups of people that I’ve ever worked with, and probably that I’ve ever met. I’m truly very lucky to be able to work with them.”

— Mrs. Halliday

The English Department aids students with any English related problems that they may be encountering during their weekly writing labs held every Tuesday and Thursday.

Everyone in the Department is looking forward to their successful future, filled with awards in writing competitions and more submissions to the Literati, where students will have a chance of being recognized for their talent in writing.