The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Dissecting the Science Department

Sarah Carreño
Seniors Andrea Comas and Alyssa Diaz working on calculating constant velocity in a lab simulation for Mr. Mayo’s AP Physics 1 class.

The Science Department has a wide variety of courses, from chemistry and biology to robotics. Due to their variety in options, many students choose to take a science course throughout all four years of high school. Science allows students to improve skills on collecting and testing for information, asking questions, and solving problems. 

“While at first I struggled a lot in biology during my freshman year and never thought I’d be taking it during my senior year, I can now say that I’ve learned a lot of useful information throughout my four years here,” Leah Aguilar said. “Even though I had the chance to drop science, I ended up deciding to take AP Physics I.”

All science courses are composed of different rigorous levels, with Honors classes participating in competitions against students from all over the country.

“Honors Biology students compete in ExploraVision, and Honors Chemistry students grow crystals,” Science Department Head Ms. Fleming said. “Students taking Physics participate in an annual, national competition by building bridges and Anatomy and Physiology students participate in the Anatomage tournament.”

Senior Carolina Martinez measuring the rate of constant velocity of an electronic toy car in Mr. Mayo’s AP Physics 1 class.

A change that came this year was the replacement  of STEM classes with Robotics I and II. which ultimately provides more opportunities for students.

“We thought Robotics was going to be more applicable. The girls could then get involved in competitions with other schools too.” Ms. Fleming said. 

Another new addition this year to the Science department is the implementation of HOSA, a national academic team for students interested in health and medicine careers.

Sophomore Fabiana Lara Montoya Makes crystals in chemistry. (Jade Cabrera)

“HOSA provides opportunities for all sorts of different competitions,” Fleming said. “Students being able to compete in different areas of science from different schools is something that the department has always wanted to do.

Students participating in HOSA are hoping to expand their knowledge of medicine and explore a possible career as a health professional.

“I am honestly so excited to be president of HOSA this year,” junior Justina Montalvo said. “I think it’s going to help me with my long-term goals of succeeding in the medical field and it’s going to expand my knowledge of things I not only need to know for the future, but want to know.” 

HOSA can bring leadership experience, strengthen knowledge, and improve skills, all qualities that make this academic team a perfect addition to the school.

“I thought it was great for our girls to challenge themselves to continue learning and competing with other students interested in medical fields,” President Sister Carmen said. “I think that the more we learn, the more we grow.”

Jade Cabrera