The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

On the Ice

Highlighting the Journey of Student Ice Skaters Emma Cheney and Eva Paredes-Rioboo
Emma Diaz
Seniors Emma Cheney and Eva Paredes have been figure skating since they were little.

Lourdes girls always put their all in everything they do. Seniors Emma Cheney and Eva Paredes-Rioboo both showcase their strength through figure skating.

Figure skating is a very intense sport requiring self discipline and many contact hours. Whether competing competitively or doing it for fun, figure skating takes a great amount of skill and practice. Both Cheney and Paredes-Rioboo have dedicated most of their lives to figure skating.

Emma Cheney has been skating since she was four years old and has been competing since she was five. She has gone to competitions around the country and even Canada. 

Being a competitive figure skater requires many hours of practice, training on and off the rink. On top practicing on the rink, she spends a lot of time keeping up her physique in the gym. She also does ballet to keep up with the artistic component of figure skating. Figure skating takes up a lot of Emma’s time and requires discipline and sacrifice. 

“I love the adrenaline of competing and the joy of doing well at competitions,” Emma Cheney said. “It has also taught me a lot of discipline and the ability to manage my school and skating life. It has taught me hard work and dedication and to truly never give up even when you fall.”

Eva Paredes-Rioboo has been skating for over ten years at various skating rinks. She has moved a lot throughout her life and views skating as one of the only constants in the midst of so much change. Eva no longer competes, but still spends plenty of time on the rink, viewing it as her safe space.

“I wouldn’t be who I am right now if it wasn’t for figure skating. It’s taught me discipline and self expression,” Paredes-Rioboo said.

Techniques that go into figure skating include jumps, spins, and edges. The performance is also a key factor in the sport. An athlete’s appearance, posture, and attitude can make or break their routine. Proper equipment and costumes are essential to their success in the ice as well. 

“You have to dedicate a lot of time and effort,” Eva Paredes-Rioboo said. “There are a lot of components that go into figure skating.”  

These girls have been stars on and off the ice. Eva Paredes-Rioboo is a dedicated student in the STEM department, having helped create and launch an app used to log and manage service hours for the whole school. Emma Cheney is an active member of peer ministry and has helped lead her fellow students on spiritual retreats and Encounter. These seniors are living proof of the power that lies in strong determination and resilience in one’s passions.