Cellphones are Crucial to Students’ Academic Development

Mia Rodriguez, J1 Staff

Everybody has a cell phone these days. They are our primary source of communication and over the past few years, we have started to use them for just about everything. This doesn’t just include adults, more and more children are being gifted phones and relying on them more. 

In most schools, cell phones are forbidden items. Many schools have rules in their handbook about not taking cell phones outside of backpacks and even not allowing them on school grounds. There has been quite a lot of controversy about this issue, but overall cell phones should be permitted at school since it is a safety precaution and a way to enhance the curriculum by using new apps and programs.

Cell phones allow for instant communication between parents and students. In the case of an emergency, students can easily call or text their parents to get a situation resolved. This is very important to all those nervous parents out there, who want to make sure their children are safe at all times. 

Teachers have started to look at cell phones as tools to use in the classroom. With the thousands of educational apps that can be found on cell phones, it’s no wonder phones and other technological devices are being worked into students’ daily curriculum. There is pretty much an app for every subject and lesson that you can dream of. From learning new languages with Duolingo to studying online flashcards with Quizlet, phones bring many new opportunities for students to excel in their studies.

Some might say that technology doesn’t belong in schools because it may be distracting to students and ultimately cause more harm than good but cellphones and other technological devices have a lot to offer students, when used correctly. The problem does not lie with the technology itself, but in the way students are using them during school hours. If students are always on their phones, doing something other than what they are supposed to, then the use of technology becomes distracting to the student and the students around them.

Ultimately, Technology has many benefits, when used wisely. Phones are crucial to students’ safety and academic success. If cellphones continue to be prohibited on school grounds then students will be at a disadvantage and their future success will suffer.