Cellphones Should Be Banned During Class

Stephanie Negrin, Journalism

There have been many discussions on whether or not cell phones should be used in school or not. Many people argue that cell phones should be used in school, whether it is in the case of emergencies or other reasons. However, cell phones should be banned in classrooms because it causes distractions, encourages bad behavior, and motivates students to cheat. 

One main reason why cell phones should be banned at school is because it causes distractions during lessons. It’s hard to pay attention in class when doing other things like being on social media, texting people, or even playing games on your phone. It is obviously shown that when students are on their phones during class, they tend to perform poorly on their tests since they are not paying attention to the teacher. Also, being on your phone during class also causes an easy distraction for other students around you and even an easy distraction for the teacher teaching.

Students are also almost always using their cell phones out of school, so it’s great to reduce screen time, get them away from their phones for a while, and pay attention to the things happening around them. 

Another significant reason why cell phones should be banned during school is because they can encourage bad behavior. Cell phones are easily being used today as a form of bullying. There have been many times when a student has taken a picture of another student or even the teacher without their permission and has later on spread that photo as a way to make fun of them or bully them. However, this is not the only bad behavior it encourages.

Cell phones can also promote other bad behaviors like cheating. Since the cellphones are right in front of the students in class, they can easily be tempted to cheat and search for answers on an assignment or even use it during a test or a quiz. 

Cell phones being used in school mainly have a negative effect on students. Cell phone use in school causes many distractions, encourages cheating, and tempts students to cheat in school. Students sadly rely on technology more than themselves, and this changes by banning cell phone use in school.