The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Volleyball Victory

Sarah Carreño
The varsity volleyball team huddles up on the court during their first home game.

On August 29, the varsity volleyball team went up against St. Brendan High School for their third game of the season. 

The team won 3 to 0, with junior Ella Garcia and sophomore Sophia Gonzalez leading the team with 9 kills each.

Sophomore Amanda Travieso ended the evening with 5 kills and delivered the game winning shot.

“It was great hearing the crowd scream after I scored the point and the support of my teammates made it even better,” Travieso said.

Bobcat fans are decked out in blue to show their support for the team.

The theme of the game was Blue Out, in which Bobcat fans came decked out in their best blue outfits and accessories. 

The highly anticipated game against the school’s well known opponents, made for a great turn out amongst fans of both teams. Tickets for Lourdes and St. Brendan fans alike sold out within a few minutes.

“It’s amazing seeing us come together as a team in front of such a great crowd with the pressure of defending our home,” Garcia said.

The crowd had an exuberant energy that could be felt throughout the gym. Bobcats of all grade levels and faculty came out to encourage the team.

“We are family, and as family we need to support each other,” Deacon Luis Phang Sang said.

The team is extremely close, and their bond on and off the court reinforces the chemistry they play with on game days.

The varsity volleyball team gets ready to return the ball during the final set.

“I felt very nervous beforehand, especially since it was my first home game playing for Lourdes, but the upperclassmen on the team helped calm my nerves so I could play at my best,” freshman Alexa Espin said.

Girls on the court as well as those on the bench could be seen hyping each other up throughout the game.

“A highlight of the game for me was seeing how excited everyone was for each other’s successes,” Head Coach Pedro Penate said.

The team is optimistic about their performance in the coming season and plans to continue playing with the same intensity and drive displayed on the court thus far.

“I think we are at a really good place as a team, but we still have a lot more potential,” Garcia said. “We have a bright future ahead but we are going to keep working to make this our best season yet.”