The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Queens of the Hill

Alexa
Freshman Alessandra Perez races to the finish line and wins the race.

The cross country team continued their spectacular season with the annual King of the Hill Invitational. The race took place in Tropical Park on September 13, with the course running through the team’s familiar home course. 

Both the Varsity and the JV teams placed first, each with runners placing in the top ten for their respective races. The varsity team had four girls be within the first ten runners to finish: freshman Alessandra Perez, who finished first overall, juniors Olivia Rodriguez and Cristina Sanchez, and sophomore Daniella Fraga. The JV team also had four girls place in the top ten of their race: senior Guadalupe Solorzano, junior Cecilia De Solo, sophomore Eva Pozo, and freshman Victoria Biggs. Overall, the entire team did well and was confident in their ability to run through the trail.    

“We practice in Tropical Park every single day and even our time trials are on this course,” senior Andrea Comas-Sanchez said. “We have ‘home court advantage’.”

Senior Andrea Comas-Sanchez pushes through the race. (Alexa)

Despite the girls’ familiarity with the park, their intense level of training this season and the support they have received have been the true factors in their success. Having trained all summer, the team began the season strong and ready to compete. 

“This season has been significantly harder than last year but I feel it all paying off already and I’m excited to see how we do the rest of the year,” sophomore Isabella Onoz said. 

King of the Hill was their fifth race this season, and the Bobcats will continue working towards excellency until the highly anticipated state series.

“I’m really happy with the way we’re all running this year and I look forward to finishing my senior season with this strong team,” Comas-Sanchez said.