The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Affordable Housing: Dream or Nightmare?

Sarah Carreño
Is the American Dream no longer accessible?

The United States must create comprehensive policies to address the affordable housing humanitarian crisis that is impacting over half a million homeless Americans. To clarify, affordable housing in the United States is not about granting deductions for upscale residences in Miami’s wealthiest neighborhoods based on choosing. Rather, it offers an empowering temporary stepping stone with essentials for Americans to unleash their full potential.

Affordable housing is critical because it offers essential elements for survival that money alone cannot buy. Housing is not simply physical shelter, instead it is the cornerstone of human well-being regardless of one’s identity. Housing provides security, privacy, stability, health, education, economic opportunities, community, and dignity.

For instance, housing can improve public health. It can reduce healthcare costs by decreasing physical and mental health risks, particularly for homeless individuals exposed to violence due to the lack of safety.

Without a door to lock, an epidemic of violence will continue to impact the life and dignity of the homeless Americans in our country. According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, unfortunately at least 20 homeless people lose their lives daily in the United States. Additionally, due to lack of affordable housing, 44 percent of homeless women endured abusive relationships due to being brutally trapped between homelessness or violence.

Furthermore, homeless youth face a grueling struggle to aspire to a life without the painful stress and heightened risks of of sexual abuse, early mortality, as well as chemical and alcohol dependency that is encountered. Youth with stable housing find it easier to focus on their education, since they have the security of a consistent environment for studying and attending school.

Affordable housing additionally addresses the fundamental needs for the veterans who sacrificed their lives and bravely fought for our country, safeguarding our freedoms. Without their dedication, we may not be granted to practice our freedoms of speech or the countless more we are fortunate to have. According to Greendoors, a foundation to prevent homelessness, about 1.5 million veterans are considered at-risk of homelessness. “At risk” is characterized as living below the poverty threshold and allocating over 50% of household income to rent. Upon returning from war, veterans too often grapple with a relentless cycle, battling to secure employment amidst enduring trauma. The United States must honor its sacred duty to provide veterans with the affordable housing they rightfully deserve in the nation they bravely defended.

Some may argue that the United States already has fallback services such as the Department of Veterans Affairs to take care of homeless veterans. Unfortunately, in 2009, the Veterans Affairs could assist only 92,000 homeless veterans, reaching 20% of those in need, leaving 400,000 veterans without supportive services.

Ultimately, most Americans, regardless of their economic status, share the vision of the American Dream: hard work leads to success. Critics claim affordable housing fosters laziness, yet in fact it motivates hard work, serving as a stepping stone for greater aspirations. Similarly, your first affordable house would provide safety and essentials, yet that doesn’t hinder you from dreaming of a home with more features, possibly a lawn and a white picket fence, the embodiment of the American Dream.

Affordable housing is both a cost-effective investment and a moral imperative, crucial for life, dignity, and the American Dream.