The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Mental Health Matters

Mia Rodriguez

Adolescence is a time of immense growth and change, marked by the exploration of identity, relationships, and independence. Yet, alongside these developmental milestones, many teenagers grapple with the complexities of mental health. From anxiety and depression to eating disorders and substance abuse, the spectrum of challenges faced by teens is vast and often daunting.

With the introduction of different social media platforms and technologies, the recognition of mental health issues among teens has skyrocketed. Recently, people and even influencers have been spreading awareness about all types of mental health issues, with some even coming forward with their own experiences.

Although social media has had positive effects on more people recognizing the severity of mental health problems and has succeeded in normalizing discussions about various issues, a stigma still lies in the idea of therapy and seeking out help.

Many people see going to therapy as something shameful and embarrassing to partake in. When in reality, going to therapy or even just speaking to someone about your problems can have many benefits on one’s mental health.

Teens, especially, see therapy as something only for “crazy” or “weak” individuals and are more inclined to stray away from it. The teenage years are filled with insecurities and self-consciousness, and because of this, many teenagers are afraid of being judged or labeled by their families and friends.

This stigma has had various negative effects on teenagers’ mental health, one being the delay and avoidance of seeking professional health, thus deteriorating one’s mental state. This can take small feelings of anxiety or awkwardness and turn them into severe problems, like suicidal thoughts or self-harm.

Therapy, although may seem ineffective, in reality, uses scientific and evidence-based approaches to promote resilience and coping skills in people of all ages and backgrounds. It is proven to have many positive effects on someone’s mental health and many people have found it to be very effective and even “life-changing”. 

In order to stop the stigma of therapy and getting professional help, it is necessary to educate on the importance of open communication regarding emotions and mental well-being, starting at an early age. By doing this, we can create supportive environments where individuals feel safe to seek help and talk about their struggles without fear of judgment or embarrassment.

Suicide and Crisis Lifeline: 988

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)