The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Ringing In Tradition

The Class of 2025 Celebrates Junior Ring Mass
Juniors showing off their new class rings. (Foxmar)

On the evening of Thursday, March 7th, the junior class celebrated the annual tradition of receiving their class rings. This mass is a turning point in every junior’s high school career; it is when they truly feel connected to their class and it also serves as a reminder that their time here at school will be coming to an end sooner rather than later.

Juniors, Guadalupe Perera and Annabelle Huembes displaying the banner of the theme, “Better Together.” (Foxmar)

At the beginning of the mass, the theme was announced as “Better Together”. This theme represents the types of people in the class of 2025 and how they are all connected through a sense of sisterhood. Some juniors had the unique opportunity of giving their input and deciding on the theme together, through the Junior Ring Mass Planning Committee.

“We picked the theme ‘Better Together’ because we liked the idea of everyone having different qualities, and yet coming together to bring the best out of each other,” junior Victoria Fernandez said. “The class of 2025, would not be complete without each and every person, which is something that we wanted to stress in the theme of the mass.”

After the theme was announced, Father Matthew Gomez, presided over the mass as usual, while also mentioning the symbolism of the ring and its purpose of bringing a class together and uniting them even after they graduate.

“Before ring mass, I didn’t realize how even after I graduate, I will always have a home at Lourdes,” junior Olivia Prieto said. “The mass also gave me comfort in knowing that the rest of my class is in the same boat as me: stressed and anxious for what is to come in the future.”

After the mass, the distribution of the rings took place, with each junior’s name being called up and receiving their ring and a flower. Once all of the students had their rings, they were given the opportunity to see them and try them on.

Junior Amanda Perez receiving her class ring and a flower. (Foxmar)

“It was surreal to see everyone in my class opening their rings and getting really excited about them,” junior Frances Ryan said. “We had all been waiting for this moment for the last three years and it was so special to share it with all of my friends and family.”

After the ceremony concluded, juniors made their way outside of the church and had a couple of moments, where they could celebrate this coming-of-age experience with their classmates. After all, this mass represents the bond that the class of 2025 has and will continue to have, even after everyone goes their separate ways.