The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Walking with Jesus

Stations of the Cross Prayer Service
Carolina Fernandez

On Tuesday, March 26th, to commemorate the start of Holy Week, the school held a prayer service reenacting Jesus’ Stations of the Cross. Students and faculty gathered in the gymnasium to attempt to experience through song and prayer what Jesus did during his 14 stages. The celebration’s structure unfolded with select students from different grades introducing the Stages of the Cross and a member of the Lourdes Singers performing a song that harmonized with the scene as the reenactment took place.

School President Sister Carmen Fernandez giving the inaugural speech at the annual Stations of the Cross prayer service. (Emma Diaz)

Students were moved by the whole experience especially when seeing their fellow classmates sing and perform so well in front of the whole student body and faculty. 

“I was genuinely almost moved to tears when I heard the Lourdes Singers,” senior Sylvia Mendiola said. “Especially this one girl that shocked the whole school when she started singing in Spanish while playing the guitar.”

Senior Valentina Castello portrayed Jesus during the Stations of the Cross. Junior Victoria Fernandez and freshman Rebecca Hernandez accompanied her throughout the prayer service. (Emma Diaz)

“Before re-enacting the stations of the cross I remember being so nervous to play this part in front of the school, but then I started to think how scared Jesus must have been, experiencing this with people mocking Him during the last moments of His life,” Castello said. “Being able to play the part of Jesus allowed me to better understand His faith and the example of trust He has left for us. It was a real special experience and I hope to grow in faith, trust, and humbleness from it.” 

Senior Natalia Delgado singing “Breath of Heaven” by Amy Grant.  (Emma Diaz)

”I loved having the chance to sing a song so close to my heart. There was something different and nice about singing alone, without a choir behind me like I’m normally used to,” Delgado said.

This last school gathering before students depart for Spring Break this Wednesday, allowed all members of the school community to unite in prayer while commemorating the true meaning of Holy Week.