The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

On Track for Greatness

Danny Timiraos
The track team travels to FSU on the weekend of March 21.

The track and field team has had a successful season so far, and are still working to finish strong. The team began conditioning early in January, to prepare the athletes for tryouts later in the month. Daily practices are held in Tropical Park for the runners and throwers, and in Coral Gables Senior High School for the pole vaulters. 

The track team kicked off its season at the Belen Pre-Season Meet. Since then, the girls have competed at 8 total meets.

Pole vaulters compete at a Belen home meet on March 20. ( )

“We’ve been racing a lot this season, which I feel has really motivated me to keep improving at practice,” senior Laura Calvache said. 

Many records have been set this season, showcasing the team’s dedication to constant improvement. The 4×100 relay set a new school record of 50.4 seconds at the Sam Burley Hall of Fame Invitational, which took place March 1-2. The relay consists of freshman Veronica Aguilare, sophomores Chloe Sastoque and Andrea Muelle, and junior Emily Barrios. Emily Barrios continued her success at the Spring Break Invitational at IMG on March 16. She became the second fastest 200 meter runner in school history, with a time of 25.82. 

The IMG Invitational also set the stage for sophomore Katerina Chacon to break a school record in javelin, with a throw of 30.62 meters. 

“This season we’ve had a lot of PRs, or personal records, which is a testament to how hard everyone has been working,” senior Andrea Comas-Sanchez said. “It’s good to see this all happening, especially because it is still early in the season.”

The team most recently traveled to Tallahassee to compete in the FSU relays, where four runners set personal records in the 3200 meter race: freshman Alessandra Perez, sophomore Daniella Fraga, and juniors Olivia Rodriguez and Cristina Sanchez. 

The 4×4 relay consists of Andrea Muelle, Emily Barrios, Chloe Sastoque, and Carolina Timiraos.

The team is coached by Danny Aguas, with the assistance of Raul Ley and Maria Fernandez, and Giovanni Armas. The coaches work tirelessly to ensure that each athlete has all the resources and training needed to succeed. 

“Nothing we do would be possible without our coaches,” Calvache said. “They make sure to focus on what we need and then support us through all of it.” 

The team will close out the regular season on April 16 at Belen. A Senior Night Ceremony will follow that meet to recognize the 10 seniors: Andrea Comas, Laura Calvache, Carolina Timiraos, Alexa Sabogal, Pia Zarraluqi, Emily Barreto, Sophie Llevat, Valentina Velazquez, Tessa Abreu, and Ines Saudino. 

The team will then race at the FHSAA 3A District 16 Championship on Thursday, April 25, followed by regionals on May 8, and the State Championships on May 17. 

The girls have had an impressive season over the last two months, and will continue to work hard and represent the school in meets through the end of the season in May.