The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Lacrosse’s Impressive Season

The+team+celebrates+after+scoring+at+a+tough+game.+
Courtesy of Pauli Varona
The team celebrates after scoring at a tough game.

The lacrosse team is back on the field and ready for a successful finish to their season. The team began practices in early February, and now practices four days a week from 3:30-5:30 pm at Flagler Grove Park. Practices consist of drills for technique and scrimmages. The girls usually play one to two games per week.

“This team has been working so hard the whole season, and it has all definitely paid off,” senior captain Paulina Varona said. “Win or lose, I’m always proud of our team and all the hard work we put into the game.”

Seniors Jian Hernandez and Emi Gil work together to bring their team to victory. (Courtesy of Jian Hernandez)

Coach Dominique Christiansen and Assistant Coach Erin work tirelessly to ensure that their team has everything they need for a successful season. From long practices to late game days, the coaches stand with their team and push them to reach their full potential.

“The coaches are genuinely such amazing leaders and coach us so well,” senior Sarah Hernandez said. “They truly care about us beyond just our playing abilities and have formed such a supportive, strong, and loving team.”

The team closed off their regular season with a win against Coral Shores on March 26 at Columbus. This game also served as the team’s senior night, where each of the 6 seniors were recognized and celebrated for their accomplishments over the years. The 2024 seniors are Paulina Varona, Emi Gil, Sarah Hernandez, Sabrina Quesada, Daniella Pancorbo, and Jian Hernandez. These girls have shown great leadership and commitment to the sport throughout their time on the team.

Seniors Pauli Varona and Emi Gil are recognized for their long dedication to the team. (Alexa Sabogal)

“This game was the perfect way to close off my senior season,” Varona said. “I am very grateful for all that lacrosse has given me and I’ll definitely miss my team.”

The team advanced to the District Championships for the second time in team history. With an already impressive season behind them, the girls will continue working through the rest of the season.