The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Career Quest

Lourdes Girls Seize Spring Break with Externships
Career+Quest
Mia Rodriguez

“That’s a lie” echoed through the walls of the courtroom as students plunged into the real life workforce during their spring break. This is one of the many intriguing moments witnessed by students who embarked on externships during their spring break. 

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors seized the opportunity to explore their interests and career aspirations through a variety of externships hosted by different professionals during spring break. These experiences were nothing short of transformative as students immersed themselves in new diverse roles. Whether donning scrubs to observe dermatology clinics or standing beside judges in courtrooms, students truly learned more about themselves and glimpsed at the possibilities of their future. 

Many of these externship opportunities were generously provided by alumni, serving as a reminder of the strong bond of sisterhood of Lourdes that continues even after graduation. 

“During my spring break, I shadowed different judges and spent time at a law firm. One of the judges, Judge Correa ’04, gave me the opportunity to observe her duties from behind her judge bench. I am still amazed that I was able to really see the daily life of a judge,” senior Melanic Rodriguez said. 

Students were fully immersed in action-packed days, shadowing county court judges, participating in discussions on legal issues and criminal case histories, while observing court proceedings firsthand. These experiences allowed them to take notes, ask questions, and gain a deeper understanding of the legal system. 

“On Tuesday, April 2nd, I shadowed Judge Guzman at the Miami-Dade Children’s Courthouse, and it was really eye-opening. It was surreal to see the raw emotions of real people in court which is nothing compared to what is on TV. I remember one of the defendants passionately shouting ‘that’s a lie’ during testimony, and that was only a part of the intensity of courtroom proceedings,” sophomore Janelle Gonzalez said.

Meanwhile, other students donned their pilates grip socks to observe Natalia Lopez in her profession as a pilates instructor. Under her guidance, students learned about leadership, personalized fitness routines, proper form correction, and the intricacies of running a fitness studio. 

“On Wednesday, April 3rd, I was able to see the importance of scheduling and business management while shadowing Ms. Lopez in the studio. It was really fun to even participate in some Pilates classes, and I really liked learning about customer interactions and the day-to-day operations of running a business,” junior Carolina Meruelo said. 

Simultaneously, students with interests in public relations and marketing shadowed professionals at the agency Carma Connected. 

“My highlight of the day was shadowing public relations professionals, especially when we visited the restaurant Rusty Pelican during sunset to shoot content for their new happy hour menu. I really enjoyed the hands-on experience, assisting with filming, and learning more about business and marketing,” junior Caterina Arner said. 

These externships provided students with unforgettable experiences, personal growth, and invaluable connections. As they explored different professions, collaborated with industry professionals, and stepped out of their comfort zones, they gained a deeper understanding of themselves and their career aspirations. This marks yet another year of empowering experiences provided by the school’s commitment to nurturing students’ passions and aspirations.