The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Fall’s Finest

Commemorating excellence at the Fall Sports Banquet
The+Fall+Sports+Banquet+was+held+on+November+30th+and+celebrated+the+achievements+of+accomplished+athletes+in+golf%2C+volleyball%2C+swimming%2C+and+cross+country.+
Sarah Carreño
The Fall Sports Banquet was held on November 30th and celebrated the achievements of accomplished athletes in golf, volleyball, swimming, and cross country.

For the past four months, students in the fall sports—golf, swimming, cross country, and volleyball—have represented the school in various competitions. Just last week, on November 30th, at the Varsity Sports Fall Athletics Awards Reception, which is a fancy term for the Fall Sports Banquet, these players were recognized for their hard work, commitment, and improvement throughout the season.

“While all players will receive their letterman awards from the school, each team will present awards to three players, and these awards vary depending on the team and its coaches,” Athletic Director Maura Herrholz said.

Golf

Golf Coach Mr. Ignacio Vazquez awards the coaches award to sophomore Gabriella Barcia. (Fox Mar)

From the golf team, three Bobcats were recognized for their athletic accomplishments. Firstly, the team’s Most Valuable Player, also known as the MVP, is junior Megan Leigh Bermejo. The Coach’s Award was presented to sophomore Gabriella Barcia, and lastly, sophomore Sofia Corps was recognized as the Most Improved player.

“I feel honored to have received this award, and I am forever grateful to my coach and teammates,” said Gabriella Barcia.

Starting from the left is junior Olivia Guzman, Olivia Marrero, Isabella Marrero, and on the far right is junior Ella Garcia. These are the volleyball players who were recognized with awards at last week’s sport banquet. The photo is a courtesy of Isabella Marrero.

Volleyball

Next is the volleyball team, which, unusually, presented awards to four girls. First is junior Olivia Guzman, who was awarded Best Offensive Player. Secondly, junior Ella Garcia received the Best All-Around Player award. Lastly, seniors Isabella and Olivia Marrero were named Co-MVPs.

“I am so happy and honored to have received this award, but most importantly, I am proud to share it with my sister,” said Isabella Marrero.

Cross Country

Freshman Haley Arroyave receives her varsity with the rest of the cross-country team. (Fox Mar)

Thirdly, the cross country team, the school’s largest team, recognized senior Carolina Timiraos, a member since her freshman year, with the Coach’s Award. Additionally, head coach Daniel Aguas awarded freshman Alessandra Perez as the team’s MVP and Hayley Arroyave as their Most Improved Player.

“While it’s my last year on the team, I believe there’s no better way to end it. Receiving the Coach’s Award is an honor that will always remind me of how special my time on the team has been,” said Carolina Timiraos.

Senior Corina Wong received her MVP award from Swim Coach Mr. Brandon Murphy. (FoxMar)

Swimming

Lastly, the swimming team recognized freshman Mallery Flores as their Rookie of the Year and senior Corina Wong as their MVP. Furthermore, junior Sylvia Osorio received the Coach’s Award.

“I am beyond honored to have received this award. Everyone on my team is amazing and extremely hardworking, so receiving this award is truly special,” said Corina Wong.