The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Fashion Bazaar Sensation

School’s Inaugural Fashion Bazaar Showcases Student Entrepreneurship and Christmas Shopping Extravaganza
Seniors+Cristina+Diaz+and+Angelina+Lopez+buying+brownies+from+senior+Laura+Calvache%E2%80%99s+business%2C+Bakers+Delights.+
Mia Rodriguez
Seniors Cristina Diaz and Angelina Lopez buying brownies from senior Laura Calvache’s business, Bakers Delights.

December 12th marked the start of Christmas shopping at school. Bobcats got a head start on their shopping at Tuesday’s Fashion Bazaar during FOCUS. Thanks to Fashion Club president senior Alexa Bellon, students were able to promote their businesses and sell their products to fellow classmates.

“I was inspired to create the bazaar because of my talented friends,” Bellon said. “There are so many girls I know that have amazing businesses and I wanted to create a way for our community to support them.” 

This is the first ever Fashion Bazaar, a tradition the school is hoping continues because of its immense success. However, all the accomplishments that came from this Christmas event would not have been possible without one person. 

“Alexa Bellon worked patiently and diligently with the administration, her Fashion club mates, other faculty and DECA to bring her idea to life,” Fashion Club Moderator Mrs. Meyeringh said. “She wanted to make sure that ‘Bobcatpreneurs’ had a platform to sell to the school community and gain some followers, while creating a joyful space where students could purchase Christmas gifts for their friends and family.” 

The logistics of the event allowed for each entrepreneur to set up their own stand showcasing their products. They were free to decorate it in a way that portrayed the aesthetic of their brand. 

“My business is called Penguin in a Sweater and I sell handmade crochet clothing, accessories, and decor,” senior Natalia Perez-Rodriguez said. “I started Penguin in a Sweater last year after a friend offered to pay me to make him a beanie and I realized I could make some extra money. I thought this was a wonderful idea for us to attract more customers, which is why I wanted my booth to stand out. I decided to decorate it by hanging some pieces of clothing around it and by placing some crocheted ornaments on the table.” 

Senior Natalia Perez-Rodriguez, creator of Penguin in a Sweater, standing by her hand-made crochet designs. (Carolina Fernandez)

The bazaar was split into three main sections. In one corner of the school was the jewelry section, in another was the treats and food section, and lastly was the accessories and clothing section where students could find things like sweatshirts and headbands. 

“The name of my business is Bakers Delights and as you can probably guess by the name I bake all sorts of treats,” senior Laura Calvache said. “I started my business during my sophomore year and since then I’ve been baking brownies, blondies, brookies, alfajores, and a couple other things. I loved the rush of excitement I felt as soon as all the girls started arriving at my stand.” From the girls behind the stands selling their products, to the eager customers, who couldn’t wait to get to the front of the line, everyone left satisfied, with a smile on their faces. 

This picture was taken from Laura Calvache’s Bakers Delights stand minutes before it sold out. (Carolina Fernandez)

“I don’t have a stand, but from the customer point of view I loved the experience,” junior Lucia Jurado said. “It was like being in a mall, except I didn’t have to walk five minutes to go from the Food Court to Zara because it was all right there. I loved having all the options, I mean the jewelry was gorgeous, the headbands were the cutest, and the brownies and cookies looked beyond delicious.”