The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Behind the Pom-Poms

The Cheerleading season
Mia Rodriguez

While everyone’s minds turn to summer after Spring Break and students get ready to relax, cheerleaders start preparing for their season. Ever since April of 2023, both the school’s Junior Varsity and Varsity teams have been hard at work practicing in preparation for their competitive season. 

“JV and Varsity practice twice a week. Depending on what part of the season we are in, we work on different things,” Head Cheerleading Coach Victoria McKeon said. “In the summer we work on skill development, in the fall we work on game day performances and building our competition season, and finally during the winter we work on perfecting our routine.” 

While both teams are relatively small, with JV consisting of 12 athletes and Varsity being made up of 16 cheerleaders, they both consistently practice twice a week. 

“So far I have really enjoyed this season,” Co-Captain of the Varsity Cheerleading team senior Alyssa Diaz said. “I believe the team is extremely hard working this season and has such a positive mindset. Every practice has great energy and as a team we are really good at uplifting each other and creating a good environment wherever we are.” 

The fruits of their dedication were seen through their performance in the Chase the State competition in Barstow, Florida where the school placed second and at UCA Florida Regionals in Daytona, Florida, where the school proudly brought home first place. 

Featured is the whole Varsity cheerleading team at the UCA Regionals Competition, where they placed first and got a bid to the UCA Nationals Competition.
Courtesy of Alyssa Diaz

Nonetheless, the season is far from over; cheerleaders have only just begun to showcase their skills and spirit. 

“This weekend we are hosting our first ever competition at Lourdes called Bobcats Battle,” Coach Vicky said. “The following weekend we have FHSAA Regionals along with the USCA Championship. At the start of February, we hopefully will be attending the FHSAA State Championship and National High School Cheerleading Championship.” 

Although both teams have experienced a wonderful start to their season, like all sports, they have encountered their fair share of challenges. However, according to Coach Vicky, overcoming obstacles serves as a testament to the competitor mindset of each athlete and of the team as a whole. 

“One of the biggest challenges we’ve faced this season was having to fix our routine and replace girls after they got injured,” Diaz said. “One thing I truly admire about our team is that we are able to be resilient and work forward even after facing hardships. I know that because of our hard work and dedication to becoming a better team each and every day we will win a state championship.” 

There are only two months left of the cheerleading season, where both teams will get the opportunity to demonstrate the routine and hard work of the last 10 months. 

“This season has been one of our best,” Coach Vicky said. “We are gaining skill quickly and growing more and more confident as the season progresses. I’m really looking forward to the rest of the competition season.”