The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Blue and White Week Recap

Emma Diaz

The school celebrated Blue and White Week the week of January 29th, commemorating National Catholic Schools Week. Activities ranged from Dodgeball to an all-out dance party. 

The week began with Catholic Schools Week Mass performed by St. Theresa’s Father Alvarez. 

“Lourdes Academy loves to begin Catholic Schools Week by gathering as a school community to pray together,” President Sister Carmen Fernandez said. “For us, prayer is the most important thing we can do together; it unites us, makes us better people, and makes us better followers of Christ.”

The celebration began with Team OLLA Tuesday, during which students were able to dress as their favorite OLLA faculty members. Students even coordinated outfits with their teachers, ensuring they were on point. 

The Varsity Cheer Team preformed on Wednesday to hype up their fellow students. (Emma Diaz )

“My favorite teacher is Mr. Hart, and I had so much fun showing him that on Tuesday,” said Junior Victoria Fernandez.

On Wednesday, the week continued with a pep rally/send-off, during which the dancers and cheer teams performed. The JV and Varsity teams showed off their talents by rocking it on the dance floor. 

“I love seeing my fellow bobcats perform for us; they never fail to amaze us,” senior Andrea Laluz said.

After the send-off, teachers and students participated in a fan favorite: Dodgeball, in which the white team came out victorious.

“I really enjoyed being able to unleash my competitive side and play against my fellow Lourdes girls and my favorite team, Olla members,” junior Olivia Prieto said. 

Nearing the end on Thursday, students wore their favorite OLLA merch from the Bobcat Boutique.  

“I have so many pieces from the boutique that I never wear, and I love that there was one day where I got to use a lot of it,” senior Sara Gonzalez said.

Students participated in Zumba with their peers. (Mia Rodriguez)

On Friday, students had an altered schedule, and the focus block was moved to the end of the day. Students enjoyed a school-wide lunch before migrating to their focus rooms to participate in the first-ever Dance-A-Thon. 

“At first, I thought I would be bored, but from Zumba to just dancing, I was entertained the whole time,” Junior Natalie Pando.

The entire student body enjoyed the week and cannot wait to do it all again next year.