The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

“Marches March!”

Marches+March%21
Foxmar

The thespians performed Little Women on March 8 and 9. It is a play about the dynamics of female relationships and how women have their own distinct personalities. The original book was written by Louisa May Alcott and was based on her real life experiences and family life. Each March sister represents a different perspective on women’s roles in society and offers insight into its flaws. 

Lauren Perez, who played Amy March, perfectly encapsulates the difference between Amy as a little girl and as a young woman. Amy has one of the biggest character developments in the play as she matures from girlhood into being an adult.

Senior Lauren Labrada lit up the stage as Beth.

I chose to interpret Amy as a girl who honestly felt really misunderstood and wanted to fit in with her sisters,” junior Lauren Perez said. “She was a lot younger than some of them and looked up to each of them in their own way. She also just wanted to be better off for herself and be educated and a woman of her time.” 

The young actors in our school’s production brought the book to life on the stage. The audience was captivated by the show with audible laughter and gasping at multiple parts. There were even some tears shed. 

“I did this production because I know Lourdes is a great school,” said Alexander Montero, who played Laurie. “The main thing was the people, everything was so professional and everyone made me feel incredibly welcome.”

Little Women’s opening night was on International Women’s Day. The original book was written during the first wave of feminism, which can be seen as the March sisters all have different views on what it means to be a woman in society. 

“I think this play is such a great one to put on here at Lourdes,” senior Gabriella Dreize, who played Marmee, said. “The March sisters represent all the aspects of womanhood and I think Lourdes really allows girls to find their place in the world and transcend any boundary put upon women. I am so glad to have been part of a revolutionary play here at OLLA.” 

The March sisters took to the stage on March 8 & 9. Wowing the audience with their magnificent production. (Foxmar )

After the Saturday show, the seniors in the cast and crew took their final bows. These girls have dedicated themselves to the arts during their high school years. They received a standing ovation from the audience, many moved to tears now that their friends’ time on the school stage has come to an end.

When Mrs. G called us down to take our bow, all I could think of was how happy and thankful I felt to have spent so much time surrounded by such wonderful people doing something like performing together,” Natalia Delgado, who played Meg, said.