The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Pulsera Project

Brings A New Meaning To Hispanic Heritage Month
Mia Rodriguez and Carolina Fernandez
Pulsera bracelets sold for a cause.

The Pulsera Project is a nonprofit organization that was founded in 2009. It empowers artists from Central America, giving them sustainable fair trade jobs. The Pulsera Project has raised over $6 million dollars by selling pulseras, which is a type of bracelet. The proceeds go back to the artist’s communities funding housing, education, healthcare, and more. 

The project partners with Spanish classes in schools around the U.S. to sell the bracelets, teaching the students about fair trade and culture. The Spanish department here at school sold Pulseras for a whole week during lunch to promote cultural awareness and community service. The department came together to teach students on the cultural and economic aspects of Central America. 

“The whole Spanish department is doing this during Spanish Heritage Month because we wanted to teach our students about fair trade and get them involved in community service projects,” said Spanish teacher Jennifer Fernandez. “We are helping them with something that has a cultural value. It’s all about the culture shown in each handmade bracelet sold. No Pulsera is the same.”

The students themselves have been volunteering their time to help sell the bracelets. 

“I like how all the proceeds go back to the artist in Central America,” said freshman Chloe Mackinlay. “It’s very inspiring to give back.” 

Each bracelet sold comes with a photo and the name of the artist, connecting each customer to the person who made it. 

“I love that you know who made the bracelets, it makes the sale so much more special,” said junior Amelia Gonzalez. “Each bracelet is unique and tells a story.” 

This was a way in which students were able to witness first-hand, parts of the cultures they have been learning about in the classroom. 

“This project shows how the world is connected even if we’re far apart,” said freshman Abby Herran.