The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

From Equations to Leadership

Mrs. Figueras’ Journey from Math Teacher to Distinguished Catholic Educator
Mrs.+Figueras+standing+with+her+family%2C+who+surprised+her+as+she+received+the+Distinguished+Catholic+Educator+award.+++%0A%0ACourtesy+of+Mrs.+Figueras+
Mrs. Figueras standing with her family, who surprised her as she received the Distinguished Catholic Educator award. Courtesy of Mrs. Figueras

On February 2nd, a room usually filled with spirited screams, loud cheering, and excited stomping, plunged into an instant quietude, as school President Sister Carmen Fernandez stood in the middle of the gymnasium, getting ready to announce this year’s Distinguished Catholic Educator. 

Student Activities Director and Algebra I teacher Mrs. Ana Figueras was overwhelmed with excitement and surprise upon realizing the person Sister Carmen was speaking about and the recipient of this award was her. 

“Oh my goodness, it was the most overwhelming feeling of joy and appreciation,” Figueras said. “It means so much to me to know that my colleagues and our students recognize how much I love our school and what I do. It also meant the world to me to have my family there because they’ve seen, first hand, my work ethic and dedication, so it was so special to share that moment with them.”

Mrs. Figueras has been a vital part of the school community ever since she first joined the Math Department in 2013, not knowing that by 2022 she would begin her transition into Student Activities Director, a crucial role in the school, while still teaching one math class. 

”Sometimes it’s tough to balance, but I love teaching math so much that it’s worth it,” Figueras said. “Getting to teach math and seeing my students finally get it and get excited makes it all worth it. I will never give it up.” 

Math is not a subject for everyone, but according to her students, Mrs. Figueras makes the class enjoyable and provides a fun environment that nurtures a love of learning. 

“I miss having Mrs. Figueras as my teacher because she’s one of those people that you can tell lives to teach,” senior Leah Aguilar said. “Math has never been my strongest subject, but she definitely made it better. I remember she would teach us weird mnemonics to remember math terms, which I still haven’t forgotten. My favorite will always be ‘VUX HOY,’ if you’ve had Figueras you know what I’m talking about.” 

This year’s Distinguished Catholic Educator does not only impact students inside the classroom. Being the head of activities, Mrs. Figueras works closely with all of the Student Council and the Student Executive Board (EB) to create many new school traditions and ensure a fun time. 

“I have worked with Mrs. Figueras for two years now, first on council and now on EB, and it has been so amazing seeing all of our new ideas come to fruition,” Vice President senior Gabriella Mallafre said. “As VP, I can now see behind the scenes and how she goes above and beyond in all that she does. Whether it be about Student Council or not, Mrs. Figueras is always there for us by our side.”

In bridging the sentiments shared by the school community, it becomes clear that Mrs. Figueras’ essence influences all who work with her. 

“Mrs. Figueras deserves the Distinguished Catholic Educator Award because of her commitment to growing and nurturing student leaders,” Sister Carmen said. “She does that by example, by teaching, and by always setting high expectations of others and of herself, all while having fun with the girls.”