The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Art Program Takes Center Stage

This year’s art program is filled with creativity, nostalgia, and innovation, as it takes center stage like never before. The heart of this program, Mrs. Cristina Zizold ‘96, is an alumna embracing this school year’s theme, “Good OLLA Days.”

In the Studio Art II class, students embarked on a nostalgic journey by diving into the school’s yearbooks from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Each student immersed themselves into the pages of a selected year from those decades, and chose memorable quotes and moments. These were then channeled with their creative spirit into vibrant paintings, with each artwork dedicated to a unique year.

Good OLLA Day assignments align the wall in the breezeway as a temporary exhibit. (Alani Avila)

The result? A collection of artworks that will be on display in the hallway at the end of October. It will be an exhibition that will captivate all who walk through campus and celebrate the legacy of OLLA.

“I was truly amazed when I saw pictures of the freshman class wearing beanies just as I did last year,” sophomore Isabella Fernandez said. “I love seeing pictures of the faces of the girls who have paved the way of love and sisterhood at our school today. Being in the Studio Art II class is amazing, and I have learned so much. My teacher, Mrs. Zizold, teaches us about all things art, while keeping Our Mother Mary as a focal point in class. I have learned and grown so much closer to Mother Mary and gained a more personal relationship.”

Alani Avila

What makes this program truly different is its fusion of art and theology, creating a unique and deeply personal experience for the students. In addition, the art department has been nothing short of outstanding, with a remarkable one hundred percent passing rate in AP Art Courses in the past three years.

This year, instead of a single grand art exhibition at the end of the year, the Art program has decided to break tradition and introduce multiple small art exhibitions throughout the school year. This change aims to celebrate the remarkable talent and dedication of the school’s art students more frequently, sharing their creativity, knowledge, and talent with the entire school community.

As the school year goes on,  the artistic brilliance will be on display on campus, where tradition meets the celebration of the unique art and culture of OLLA.

Alani Avila