Anatomy Students Compete in First-Ever Anomatage Tournament

Olivia McClintock

Students from the Anatomy classes competed in a Anatomage Tournament Friday, January 21.

The Anomatage Table is an integral part of the Anatomy classes. The students learn to digitally disect the human body. (Olivia McClintock)

Every little bone, muscle and ligament was on display last friday, January 22 at the school’s first ever Anatomage tournament. 

This tournament consisted of four, fast paced questioning rounds, where students were asked questions concerning the skeletal and muscular systems, including ligaments. Twelve teams containing four Honors Anatomy and Physiology students each participated, making the grand total of participants forty eight. 

Each of four rounds consisted of twenty questions to be answered in four minutes, with questions increasing in difficulty as the rounds progressed. Eight out of the original twelve teams advanced onto the second round of the tournament, and from these eight teams, four made it into the third and final round, leaving one team transcending over all others. 

The students who made up the winning team were juniors Paulina Ortega, Annette Menendez, and Camila Lago and sophomore Eva Cova.  The  team was prepared for the grueling completion.

“Besides the training sessions that we have been having since the first quarter, our team has been studying both all together and separately for a little over a week,” Menendez said.  “I think the competitive nature in all of us really allowed us to give it all that we had.” 

Which is exactly what they did. All of this hard work allowed Menendez and the rest of her team to walk out of the tournament with certificates from Anatamoge, a first place trophy, and of course, bragging rights.

The curator of this tournament, Mrs. Elena Arteaga- Diaz shared some insight on the tournament.

“The competition was fast paced, thrilling, educational, and exciting,” Atreaga-Diaz said. “The students actively participated in the training sessions throughout the first semester and were excited to show their knowledge of the content area while challenging their peers.” 

Ms. Arteaga-Diaz also wanted to show appreciation for Ms. Sara Fleischman, and the Anatomage team as a whole who seemed very impressed with how well the teams knew how to use the table. 

Overall, it is safe to say that the first ever Anatomage OLLA tournament was a big success thanks to Ms. Arteaga-Diaz, the Anatomage team, the administration, and the forty eight girls who all studied hard for this tournament.