From Student Center to New Classrooms

Paola Lista, staff

Upon students coming back to campus after months of online learning, many changes had to be made to our school. Desks had to be spread apart, which left less room for students in each classroom.

The administration had to think outside the box to figure out how to fit everyone back on campus. Their solution? Build new classrooms.

“I think the classrooms turned out great and they’re perfectly adaptable to our situation,” senior Brooke Merdjane said.

Administration decided to transform the student center into two new classrooms, complete with desks, white boards, projectors, and everything else that the original classrooms contain.

“It was a great idea and an effective way to allow more students on campus,” Merdjane said.

Seeing as the student center had been around since the very beginning of OLLA history, this change came as a surprise to many.

“I think it was a creative solution given the circumstances,” senior Hannah Tobchi said, “but I miss the big open feel of the student center.”

Merdjane and Tobchi take their physics class in one of the new classrooms.

“While I do miss my old classroom in the grotto building, I love the new feeling of these classrooms, and have easily adjusted to teaching in there,” said Mrs. Lourdes Masis, a freshman biology teacher.

Mrs. Masis and Mr. Orestes Mayo are two of the teachers that have moved their classrooms into the newly renovated rooms.
The classrooms have turned out to be a great addition to the school, especially considering the small amount of space they had to work with.

The classrooms have also been effective in making space that allows more girls back onto campus, until the school can return to pre-pandemic lifestyles.