The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Peer Ministry Workshop

Peer ministers prepare for success!
Peer+Ministers+are+led+in+self+reflection+activities.+
Peer Ministers are led in self reflection activities.

The peer ministers started off the year strong with an opportunity to grow in their own faith before becoming the spiritual leaders of the school. The girls participated in a two day workshop and retreat on August 18 and 19 at school. 

The first day was a retreat for the girls to get to know each other and themselves better. They got split into randomly assigned groups and played bonding games, such as relay races and Trainwreck. They also met their Dyad, or the one person that they can always come to rely on throughout the year. they asked each other questions and got to know each other on a more personal level. 

“Trainwreck is something we do every year at these workshops and it’s basically when one person says something about themselves and anyone who shares that interest has to get up and run to a new spot,” senior Samantha Garciga said. “It’s a great way to get to know each other in a more fun way.”

The Dyad pairs ask each other questions and form new friendships! (Campus Ministry )

Later that night, campus minister, Ms. Tuñón led the girls in a reflective activity where she asked personal questions and those who the question applied to were encouraged to take steps forward. The questions ranged from easy ones, such as, “Is your favorite color pink?”, to more serious questions about their lives. 

“Honestly this made me feel so much better about the things I’ve gone through because it made me realize that I really am not alone,” senior Cristina Herran said. “It was reassuring to see so many people step up when I was scared I’d be the only one.” 

While the first half of the workshop was more about team building and self-reflection, the second day focused more on the skills needed to be leaders. The peer ministers spent the day learning how to properly facilitate a small group during retreats. In their groups, the girls practiced with scenarios in which they would have to keep the group conversation moving. Each got their own character, like the shy one or the leader and had to act the part in order to realize the many issues that may occur during a retreat. 

“I loved this activity because it made me feel more comfortable leading a group and now I feel ready for the upcoming retreats and Encounters,” senior Sofia Vilomar said. 

Overall, the two days were a way to mentally prepare for the year and all the retreats that the peer ministers hope will have a long lasting impact on the students. 

The relay race consisted of many activities, one of which required the girls to throw marshmallows into a cup in order to finish the race. (Campus Ministry )

“This retreat was perfect in every way,” Garciga said. “I’m so excited to lead my favorite retreats and get to know the girls in our school community on a more personal level, while inspiring them to grow closer to God!”