The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Barbies Boogie at OLLAFEST

School Spirit on Display during this year’s OLLAFEST.
Mia Rodriguez
Students from all classes gather in the grotto patio to celebrate OLLA Fest.

This year, the school celebrated its first OLLA Fest week. Starting on Monday, October 16, students had the opportunity to dress up according to the day’s theme. Each day, the number of students that dressed up were counted and then the average for each grade was announced on Friday. 

The first day, “Mis-Match Monday,” the girls wore their best uncoordinated outfits. Some had pajama pants and business blazers, while others wore different shoes on each foot. 

“I liked this day because it was easy to dress up and be spirited,” senior Cristina Herran said. “It was also funny seeing everyone’s creativity and how engaged we all got.”

The following day was “Twin Tuesday.” All FOCUS rooms came up with a theme and competed against each other to win the best in the grade. The winners from each class were then posted on the school instagram to be voted on. The polls were open for 24 hours. In the end, the seniors, dressed as “senior citizens,” won with 41% of the votes. The freshman “flock of sheep” came in a close second place with 39%. 

“It was stressful to see how quickly the freshmen were going up, but I knew that our grade would pull through and win the number of votes,” Executive Board Secretary Carolina Martinez said.

Senior Sofia Toledo dressed up as “slumber party Barbie” and took pictures in the Grotto during lunch. (Natalia Esnard )

On Wednesday, the campus was transformed into a Barbie world, with all students dressed in their best pink outfits. Some came as “cowgirl Barbie” and others as “sleeping Barbie.” Due to the special schedule, there was a school-wide lunch, in which there were photo opportunities, like a Barbie box, in the Grotto patio. 

“This was definitely my favorite dress-up day because I love everything pink and it was on brand, since the Barbie movie just came out,” Herran said. 

On Thursday, there were no dress-ups, as the underclassmen took their annual PSAT. 

Friday was the very much anticipated OLLA Fest day. Students were decked out in their class colors and were excited to compete for spirit points. As usual, the day began with a pep-rally to celebrate the achievements of the fall sports and a performance from the cheerleading and dance teams. Following the events in the gym, the grades competed in the second Bobcat Boogie. Bobcat Boogie is a lip-syncing battle between all four classes, in which they are given two days to choreograph a full routine with the song they have been assigned. The seniors took the win, having performed Pitch Perfect’s Bella’s Finals. 

“I’m really proud of us, we came together and it was a great bonding experience, even just watching it,” Martinez said. “It was the perfect way to end our last OLLA Fest.” 

Seniors perform their award-winning Bobcat Boogie routine. (Emma Diaz)

The day continued with another senior victory in the Flower Bowl, a flag football game between the senior and juniors and the freshmen and sophomores. At the same time, there were photo booths and a VW bus set up in the Grotto to allow students to capture the fun day. Overall, OLLA Fest week was a great way to celebrate the 60 years of the school and share in the

Varsity cheerleaders perform at the pep-rally. (Mia Rod)

beloved sisterhood.