The Student News Site of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy

Our Lady of Lourdes Academy | 5525 SW 84th St, Miami, FL 33143

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

ollanews (@ollanews) • Instagram photos and videos

Blood for All

Senior partners with OneBlood to encourage blood donations from the school community.
OneBlood%E2%80%99s+highly+known+and+recognizable+bus%2C+where+all+donations+took+place+this+year%2C+parked+in+the+school+parking+lot.+
Carolina Fernandez
OneBlood’s highly known and recognizable bus, where all donations took place this year, parked in the school parking lot.

On October 24th, 2023, the lives of 50 people were changed. OneBlood, the nonprofit organization whose mission is based on collecting blood donations for people who truly depend on them, visited school with the hopes of further achieving this mission. However, their big red bus did not just show up on campus on its own, there was actually one person responsible for the development and outcome of the event. 

Senior Alexandra Herrera advocated for last year’s and this year’s Blood Drive. As a result of her personal experience, she has made it her goal not only to promote more blood donations, but also to bring awareness towards the constant need for them faced by hospitals. 

“Because I had gone through chemo, my blood count would go down very often and I wouldn’t have enough white blood cells and platelets to help clot my wounds, so I got around 57 blood transfusions in one year,” Herrera said. “I remember there were a few times where I had to wait hours to get platelets because they never had enough, and when they did have them, they would run out so fast. I think that’s why I started this project, because there is such a big need for blood and platelets and I realized that I have the opportunity of providing it by relying on my OLLA community.” 

While both blood drives have been very successful, with last year’s collecting more than 75 donations and this year’s collecting 50 donations, the road towards the development of this project was not an easy one. 

“At first, it was difficult to get Administration to approve the Blood Drive because they were concerned that girls would miss class to donate blood. However, I remember my dad saying to President Sister Carmen, ‘Would you rather have them taking a test or saving someone’s life?’ To which Sister Carmen immediately responded not only by allowing the Blood Drive to take place but also by becoming one of its biggest supporters and advocates,” Herrera said. 

While Herrera bravely took on the responsibility of the Blood Drive, there were multiple people from the school community who offered their support and most importantly their help. One of them is Anatomy teacher Mrs. Elena Arteaga-Diaz, who is also one of Alexandra Herrera’s teachers. 

“During the last blood drive at the school, I realized that Ale was the motivating force. She was trying to motivate students to donate, however the logistics and coordination of it all is a bit difficult for one person to carry out,” Mrs. Arteage-Diaz said. “I did not help her with the first attempt, but offered to have HOSA be involved with the next attempt.” 

According to Mrs. Arteaga-Diaz, Moderator of HOSA, this national academic chapter stands for Health Occupation Students of America. Its purpose is to encourage students to enter the health profession through competitive events, education, and service projects. 

“The chapter selects a service project to adopt and since Ale is a member, we thought this would be an appropriate project for our chapter,” Arteaga-Diaz said.

Health teacher Mrs. Alina Muir donating blood. (Carolina Fernandez)

Although the idea behind the Blood Drive was primarily driven by Herrera’s own personal story, her initiative touched the many other people whose lives have been impacted in, some way or another, by blood donations. 

“I love donating, which is why I’ve done it two years in a row, not just because of how inspiring Ale’s story is, but also because I feel personally connected to the importance of blood donations,” senior Sophia Gonzalez-Abreu said. “My dad got a surgery a while ago and all I could think about when donating was him, and how thanks to all the other wonderful people who donated, everything went well. That is the main reason I am so grateful to Ale for bringing this Blood Drive to Lourdes.” 

Thankfully, OneBlood’s collaboration with the school is not ending with Herrera’s graduation this May. She has already started making arrangements for her initiative to keep going, as a part of her legacy, even after she is gone. 

“My goal will always be to keep on doing blood drives no matter where I go. I was even thinking of passing on the torch and having some of my younger friends be in charge of it next year,” Herrera said. “Even when I go away to college I want to keep doing it and even though it might not be through OneBlood since they are only operating in a couple states, I am so ready to reach out to whatever organization is available to help.”

Through Herrera’s work to promote this important cause, the school has been made more aware of the current need for blood donations and has been given the chance to help lessen the danger of this situation. By bringing her initiative to the community, she has managed to impact and inspire not only every single one of those 50 donors, but everyone else who was left with the urge and desire to help and donate. 

“Ale is one of the most amazing and one of the strongest young ladies I have ever met. With her low key, soft spoken personality, she is actually a powerhouse and driving force who does not make excuses and does not give up,” Arteaga-Diaz said. “She is now motivated to help others by promoting blood donations and thereby paying it forward. Ale is a true role model and inspiration to all who are lucky enough to know her.”